SP 4460 To Fresno Ca 10-12 - 1958
Author: fmaffei

# 1 Fresno CA
#  2  my wife to BE.
#  3  Me  [ FM ]

Date: 10/07/15 21:12
Re: SP 4460 To Fresno Ca 10-12 - 1958
Author: TonyJ

Thank you Frank. I was fourteen years old at that time and was bemoaning the disappearance of steam from San Francisco. 

Date: 10/07/15 23:54
Author: BCHellman

fmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> #  2  my wife to BE.
> #  3  Me  [ FM ]

Frank, I love these photos. Keep them coming.

Your wife must be a special woman, because after knowing your hobby and seeing railfans up close, she still married you.

Good for you :>)

Date: 10/07/15 23:54
Author: bearease

I'm loving these pictures as much for the people as I am for the train.
Similar to "Dorothy" in an earlier thread, I couldn't help to notice the young lady in the light blue dress in the first photo.
She has her arms folded in that -- "How many pictures are you gonna take of that thing?!" -- pose.
"Can we please go now? It's hot, and I'm thirsty! Let's go get a Coke!"
"Ok Dear... hold on, just one more!" "CLICK!"

Date: 10/08/15 00:35
Author: 28hogger

Here is the piece that I cut out of the SF Examiner on Monday October 13 1958. I was a ripe old age of 12 and I envied that kid David Soderblom that got to shake hands with the engineer Melvin M. Till. Wonder what happened to those people?

Warren Smith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 00:41 by 28hogger.

Date: 10/08/15 00:59
Author: 28hogger

The other side of the news clipping was kind of interesting too !!

Warren Smith

Date: 10/08/15 16:11
Author: agentatascadero

To Bearease; Note how, of all the people in that photo, she is the only one who does not appear totally engaged in the proceedings.  I wonder if perhaps those 3 kids up by the power are the subject of her attention.....I could see that whole posture as vigilent....yes, also impatient, to be sure.                                                                                                                                                                     To Frank; Charming photo of your future wife, who does appear to be happy to be there.  A side note which has nothing to do with her....at the time of this photo there were a lot of rather strict standards, or requirements, when one is in public.....one of those, hadn't thought of it for years, but do remember it well.....is that a lady would never be seen in public holding her bag by her side at arm's length......for that was the province of "loose women".  A great example of what was then considered proper is the lady with back turned who is holding her bag with "crooked" arm, one of THE signs of decency back then.  Anyone else remember this?  My Mom used the proper manner, while her two sisters were a bit rebellious, and did the arm's length thing, much to Mom's embarrasment and displeasure.   Hope Mr and Mrs Maffei are not offended by my use of this photo to illustrate this old and abandoned custom.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds