Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Nostalgia & History > Story of these Ghost Amfleets?

Date: 10/08/15 07:56
Story of these Ghost Amfleets?
Author: bandob

For a number of years I've seen these Amfleet shells along the NEC, at Wilmington. I seem to remember older heritage cars at the site in past years as well. Does anyone know their story?

Thanks for any information.

Photos taken from rear door window  of PV Dover Harbor on 10/4.  (Obviously got lucky with the shots!)

B&OB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 08:23 by bandob.

Date: 10/08/15 08:12
Re: Story of these Ghost Amfleets?
Author: tmurray

Date: 10/08/15 10:53
Author: wabash2800

There is (was?) an entire wrecked Amtrak "French Turbo Train" in a scrap yard in Southern Indiana. It can be seen from a country road. My girlfriend and I were driving through the country one day and I about went off the road when I saw it. It's been posted here before with photos. It came from the Beech Grove Shops.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/15 10:40 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/08/15 11:30
Author: aehouse

Passenger cars in various states of disassembly/assembly have been at that spot for decades.  It was at one time some sort of rebuild facility, though I had no idea that cars (and car parts) were still on the property, as I haven't been by on the NEC in many years.

Art House

Date: 10/08/15 11:45
Author: knotch8

It's now Delaware Car Company.  They do rebuilds and overhauls.  NCDOT has had all of its cars rebuilt and overhauled there.  Amtrak used to contract some work to them.  SEPTA sent a tree-damaged Norristown Line car there a few years ago. 

Date: 10/08/15 16:32
Author: MW4man

Delaware Car company is very active.  They do work for many agencies and even Amtrak.

The neighborhood there is pretty rotten and they do a very good job of keeping everything inside and safe.  Probably one of the oldest car shops still in business as the facility used to be Jackson and Sharp and built cars in the middle 1800's at that facility.  The interior buildings are wooden construction and date from the 1870s.

The SPV-2000 shells were bought from Budd at the fire sale when Budd closed down with the idea they could finish them for somebody, except somebody never showed up.  So they sit there like lawn ornaments.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds