Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > GM&O during the wee hours of the morning

Date: 10/08/15 15:17
GM&O during the wee hours of the morning
Author: Q4960

GM&O's Midnight Special in Bloomington, Illinois, waiting to depart for St. Louis 4 1/2 decades ago.  Look at some of the details - the markers on the rear - lit kerosene lanterns on the coach platform - a passenger looking out wondering where he was, and what caused that bright flash - mail being loaded/unloaded from the baggage car - trainmen waiting, discussing the latest gossip or sports scores - and a washed out moon in the upper right hand corner.  [I have a replacement moon but have not yet figured out how to do the fix in Photoshop.]

Roger Holmes

Date: 10/08/15 15:55
Re: GM&O during the wee hours of the morning
Author: davebb71

roger, open this file and the one with your moon shot. under view menu, pick view actual pixels. under image menu, select image size until the moon shot is the right size for your train shot and then zoom in "ctrl +" until the moon is large enough to grab with the elliptical marquee tool, copy it "ctrl c", and paste it over the moon in the train picture. under layer menu,pick merge down. then just clone stamp the halo around the new moon with other blackness in the train shot. it will look funny as you are doing it as the blacks look very different, but just back out to actual pixels and use the 100 partial brush to finish up around the black you have already created and you should have something like this... dave, out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 16:07 by davebb71.

Date: 10/08/15 17:42
Author: BruceStikkers

Absolutely great, this train is one of my all time favorites becasue of the work-a-day world it portrays hauling everyones mail and express items up and down the line. I also really like the old lanterns on the corners.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 10/08/15 18:08
Author: TTownTrains

Was there a streamlined car in that train?  I remember it being entirely heavyweights.

Bill Gillfillan
Tulsa, OK

Date: 10/08/15 18:45
Author: dlh

Reminds me of the early scenes in the movie "In The Heat of the Night". - Dan

Date: 10/08/15 19:16
Author: P

Beautiful.   Details duly noted.

Date: 10/08/15 21:51
Author: MartyBernard

Never saw a moon like that in Illinois. The original moon was fine and accurate.   Anyhow, the new moon is too large for a photo not taken with a telephoto lens.  Plus an altered photo should be so marked not to mislead future viewers.  There is a similar thread going on concurrently at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3861827

Marty Bernard 

Date: 10/09/15 06:54
Author: davebb71

i was trying to explain to roger how to replace his moon with another one that he has in his collection. yes, marty, the moon i put there is not even close to one that should be there on purpose, so it couldn't be taken as real.

Date: 10/09/15 08:59

I do appreciate you telling me how to do the switching of moons in Photoshop.  Thanks!  I'll give it a try some time later when I have time.  I did see a moon like that once in Illinois.  I think that it was called an eclipse.

Roger

Date: 10/09/15 11:30
Author: ATSF3751

TTownTrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was there a streamlined car in that train?  I
> remember it being entirely heavyweights.
>
> Bill Gillfillan
> Tulsa, OK

Up until (I think) 01/01/1969 the Midnight Special carried a streamlined Pullman. With the termination of the Pullman Company contract on 12/31/68, a several roads eliminated sleeping car service rather then operate it themselves. Anyway, I imagine business travellesr had long deserted the overnight Pullman between these two points. Since the markers are on a coach, the photo would seem to be post 1968. GM&O had some streamlined baggage cars which may be ahead of the coach.

Date: 10/09/15 11:46

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> TTownTrains Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Was there a streamlined car in that train?  I
> > remember it being entirely heavyweights.
> >
> > Bill Gillfillan
> > Tulsa, OK
>
> Up until (I think) 01/01/1969 the Midnight Special
> carried a streamlined Pullman. With the
> termination of the Pullman Company contract on
> 12/31/68, a several roads eliminated sleeping car
> service rather then operate it themselves.
> Anyway, I imagine business travellesr had long
> deserted the overnight Pullman between these two
> points. Since the markers are on a coach, the
> photo would seem to be post 1968. GM&O had some
> streamlined baggage cars which may be ahead of the
> coach.

Thanks, Bill.  I'm sure that I took this photo long after the Pullman was taken off.  I remember those streamlined baggage cars, painted grey.  GM&O had several of these which had come from the Delaware & Hudson.  They were lettered Gulf, Mobile & Ohio but maintained the D&H paint scheme.  

Roger

Date: 10/09/15 13:29
Author: hogantunnel

dlh Wrote:
> Reminds me of the early scenes in the movie "In
> The Heat of the Night". - Dan

I was thinking the same thing. Sidney Poitier meets Warren Oats in the depot. 'Spread those fingers against the wall boy, I wanna see all ten." Incredible film! And some good train filming.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds