Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Nostalgia & History > Redondo-Home of Junk

Date: 11/23/15 12:22
Redondo-Home of Junk
Author: whistlepig

I absolutely hated those things.  Or any Westinghouse, Zenith or Sylvania or whatever they were.  The folks at GE may make a great light bulb or refrigerator but, when it comes to the locomotive...........hrrrrrumpf!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/15 12:34 by whistlepig.

Date: 11/23/15 14:26
Re: Redondo-Home of Junk
Author: exhaustED

Ah, the DASH-8, how GE managed to turn it round and make EMD eat dust! A two-horse race is a lot more fun than a one-horse race! ;-)

Date: 11/23/15 16:19
Author: Coast

Thank god for the f40 , any day I would work a f 40 over a dash8  as a 8th st. Switch engine  I  could pull 1700 amps if needed the dam dash 8s wouldnt  due to the computer . Dash 8 no power braking but I loved it when we found how to get it  to smoke heavy   Even when GE said  it couldn't. Be done .                           
Gary 

Date: 11/23/15 20:54
Author: MarkMeoff

Haters gonna hate.

Dash 8s were better in ride quality than an F59 anyday. Not to mention the view out of them is better than an F59 or even a P42 is unmatched. They were also a lot quieter than a Thunder Wagon....er.....uh.... I mean F40.

Date: 11/24/15 07:11

I'll go along with the ride quality thing.  From the very beinning of the F59PHI, they would have a very violent lateral vibration at anything above 75 mph.  The computer on any of them would/will not allow the engineer to run the thing.  On Cima Hill eastbound they would invariably overheat even in cool weather and immediatlly reduce to run 4.  Try doing that even with only 5 cars on 36.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 07:23 by whistlepig.

Date: 11/24/15 11:08
Author: Coast

I hate the desk top control stand. The coaster desk top  is great  because you use the same hand  as the  on the f40  , not with the ge's  the controls are ass backwards.( f40  the right hand worked the air the left hand worked the power , dym brake . )  ge's every thing is backwards  and so is f59's . I want the engine to work for me,not the dam computer

Date: 11/24/15 15:39

Coast Wrote:    YOWZA............YOWZA............YOWZA!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate the desk top control stand. The coaster
> desk top  is great  because you use the same
> hand  as the  on the f40  , not with the ge's
>  the controls are ass backwards.( f40  the right
> hand worked the air the left hand worked the power
> , dym brake . )  ge's every thing is backwards
>  and so is f59's . I want the engine to work for
> me,not the dam computer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds