Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > Medicinal look at a Centennial

Date: 11/24/15 05:35
Medicinal look at a Centennial
Author: santafe199

With a slightly humorous slant, we could easily have a scene here from some medical journal. One of Uncle Pete’s big Centennials, the 6902 has stopped by “the clinic”, and is having a “minor welding procedure” done on its right flank. We have an “orderly” wheeling an empty “hospital gurney” up the aisle over on its left flank. And it would appear we have some “elderly patients” in the “waiting room” track next door: a “gray-haired” GP-30 and a “geriatric” GP-9 are prominently visible among the other patients. Also visible outside in the “rehab exercise yard” are a GE road unit & another Centennial, 2 possible “out-patients” who could be stretching their legs* after some “therapeutic” maintenance…

All being watched over by the “resident in attendance” on the second floor…

1. UP 6902 at the service facility in North Platte, NE on July 7, 1978.
(Photo by James W. Watson)

*This recalls a great line by the inimitable Henny Youngman: “I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places.”

Have a safe day!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Watson (UP6900)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/22 02:55 by santafe199.

Date: 11/24/15 06:28
Re: Medicinal look at a Centennial
Author: dan

fast forties and centennials the zenith of the UP .  Center passing tracks.  then mopup single speed conveyor belt railroading and now there is a lot less at the tipple...UP continues to chase away small customers and act like an ass-many good employees want to acheive, they  remember the proud culture, great traditions  but still handcuffed by the chosen corporate path. 

Date: 11/24/15 08:40
Author: IC1038west

Great photograph of a time period when life west of Council Bluffs was UP-right.  Thanks for a good look back.

IC1038west.

Date: 11/25/15 04:30
Author: SD45X

"I just checked in, to see what condition my condition was in"

Date: 11/25/15 08:07

SD45X Wrote: > ...to see what condition my condition was in...

Ah yes... the old Gambler! Who, by the way, is now driving his poker-playing cronies UP THE WALL with some off-tune, repetitive little ditty... ;^)

DJ Sir L

Date: 11/25/15 13:39
Author: SD45X

You forgot the music tye in so I helped you out:)

Date: 11/25/15 14:46

SD45X Wrote: > ...You forgot the music...

True. But I'm not sure hospital music is really my bag, because I......... oh lordy... oh, NO!
The movie "One Flew Over the Cu-Coo's Nest" just popped into mind. Nothing like stale elevator music while you're chasing butterflies...

;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds