Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Nostalgia & History > PFE Facility

Date: 11/24/15 07:18
PFE Facility
Author: oldrailroadwarrior

Can anyone advise the location of the (PFE?) facility shown in this picture?  Someone who is very knowledgeable about Tucson believes the picture could have been taken at that location, but says that Tucson is rarely impacted by haze.

Thoughts and insights, please. 

Date: 11/24/15 08:31
Re: PFE Facility
Author: ATSF3751

oldrailroadwarrior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone advise the location of the (PFE?)
> facility shown in this picture?  Someone who is
> very knowledgeable about Tucson believes the
> picture could have been taken at that location,
> but says that Tucson is rarely impacted by haze.
>
> Thoughts and insights, please. 

Looks like Roseville. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 08:36 by ATSF3751.

Date: 11/24/15 08:41
Author: kingman

Yes looks like Roseville.  I got this off http://www.roseville.ca.us/visiting/history_of_roseville/1920s.asp

Date: 11/24/15 10:57
Author: oldrailroadwarrior

I have received information from a former offical of PFE that this facility could have been in Fresno or Bakersfield.  He said Roseville doesn't look like the right location.

Date: 11/24/15 11:12
Author: DynamicBrake

I'll go with Bakersfield.  Roseville doesn't have haze like that.  Thanks for sharing a little history...cool shot/

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 11/24/15 11:25
Author: BCHellman

There's nearly an identical shot on page 260 of "Pacific Fruit Express" by Thompson, Church, Jones that states it is Roseville, on the south side of the ice plant, with the PFE shops to the left. The PFE shops were moved to Antelope in 1927.

Roseville can get hazy.

Date: 11/24/15 12:32
Author: johnsweetser

Definitely not Bakersfield.  There never were car repair facilities with stacks of lumber, a wood burner, etc. south of the Bakersfield ice plant, just regular yard tracks.

Date: 11/24/15 17:39
Author: tighttrains

That was the world's largest ice manufacturing plant in Roseville.  You could very well be seeing fog in the image which continues to be a factor in the valley after rain storms.

Scott Inman
Sacramento, CA

Date: 11/24/15 18:22
Author: Orient

Begs the question, how on earth did the railroads make money with so much labor? Or did the workers belong to the ice house?

Date: 11/24/15 18:39
Author: CP8888

I believe the ice house labor was PFE (Pacific Fruit Express).

Date: 11/25/15 06:27
Author: ATSF3751

CP8888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the ice house labor was PFE (Pacific
> Fruit Express).

PFE appearently hired college students during the summer to load ice. A good job for athletes wanting to say in shape.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds