Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Nostalgia & History > DLW Hoboken terminal PC circa 1900

Date: 11/25/15 06:19
DLW Hoboken terminal PC circa 1900
Author: elu34ch

Date: 11/25/15 08:18
Re: DLW Hoboken terminal PC circa 1900
Author: rbenko

Probably a little bit younger than that - the terminal was built in 1907 after a fire destroyed the prior one.  

Awesome view of the then-brand-new Bush train sheds, a new innovation at the time.  On the lower right you can see part of the two story trolley terminal, and you can see several trolleys on the elevated structure along Observer Highway (it was called Ferry Street back then). That trolley line scaled the palisades into Jersey City on a huge trestle, which you can just make out in the upper right.

Of course this was taken well before the DL&W electrification project in the early 1930's, so it is pure steam as far as the eye can see. The massive DL&W freight yards are off to the left.

Thanks for posting!! 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 08:33 by rbenko.

Date: 11/25/15 09:18
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a wonderful picture. And, great commentary

The coal dumper in the right center is in about the location that the refrigerated warehouse now stands.  I'll have to look at Taber's book, but I'd guess the warehouse went in about 1917 or so.  (Cake Boss Buddy Valastro's cake studio and commercial bakery occupy some of that space)

The trolley line in the extreme lower right leads to a station alongside the DL&W station and the ferry terminal. Until a few years ago, rails were visible in the pavement at the bus yard, and the Warrington Plaza loop.

The Long Slip is still in use, with several canal sized barges there.

On first look, I don't see evidence of the Hudsonn & Manhattan shop building.  That might be a dating element, too

Date: 11/25/15 10:03
Author: elu34ch

Upon closer inspection the Bergen Hill tunnel has 2 bores which would date it to 1908.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0318 seconds