Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Nostalgia & History > logs rolling west . . .

Date: 11/25/15 08:13
logs rolling west . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   AZ had alot of forest fires in the early two thousands. In an attempt to salvage as much timber as possible four railroads went to work hauling logs to a couple of mills in California. The Arizona Eastern handed log trains off to UP and the Apache handed log trains off to BNSF. A unique situation for sure. For a short time in early 2004 log trains were rolling west on both the Sunest route and the "Transcon"
top: An northbound Apache unit log train was dropping down into Hobrook, AZ 4-03.
middle: A westbound unit log train (UHOLOKD Holbrook to Oakdale) was exiting Crozier Canyon, AZ on the BNSF "Transcon" 4-03.
bottom: A westbound unit log train was passing through Niland, CA on the exSP Sunset Route 4-03.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 08:15 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 11/25/15 09:14
Re: logs rolling west . . .
Author: MarkMeoff

Awesome! I remember the log trains rolling through the Bay Area very well, and all the eco-nazis losing their minds at all the trees going by.

Date: 11/25/15 09:40
Author: callum_out

Somewhere I've got a shot of the Apache actually hauling logs from South of McNary back when
the Maverick line was still in business. Great shot, excellent stand in for the way back when days.

Out

Date: 11/25/15 13:43
Author: SD45X

That April date was about the end of it if memory serves me. I left Needles at the beginning of May and hadn't seen one in a couple weeks.
Great shots!

Date: 11/25/15 14:21
Author: spider1319

Cool shots. Really like the Apache. Bill Webb

Date: 11/25/15 18:08
Author: icancmp193

We had some lengthy cuts of log cars up the BNSF Gateway Sub too. I think the lumber mill in Gilchrist, OR was also one of the buyers of the AZ fire logs.

Tom Y

Date: 11/26/15 01:40
Author: Fizzboy7

Add UP's Coast Line to the list too.   Nice pics.

Date: 11/26/15 04:19
Author: Evan_Werkema

SD45X Wrote:

> That April date was about the end of it if memory
> serves me. I left Needles at the beginning of May
> and hadn't seen one in a couple weeks.

The unit trains of singed logs from Arizona's Rodeo-Chediski fire lasted into mid-May 2003.  BNSF's last train was interchanged to the Sierra RR at Oakdale, CA on May 13, and UP's last train was handed over to the Susanville branch of the Quincy RR at Wendel, CA on May 21, 2003.

BNSF also reportedly handled less-than-trainload cuts of singed log cars to mills in Klamath Falls and Prairie City, OR.  Never heard that the Gilcrist, OR mill got logs salvaged from the aftermath of the Rodeo-Chediski fire.  Also never heard a peep of protest from anybody in the Bay Area about the trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds