Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Nostalgia & History > SCL/Royal American Shows 1976

Date: 11/26/15 00:23
SCL/Royal American Shows 1976
Author: Panamerican99

SCL hauls Royal American Shows first section northbound through Zephyrhills, FL in 1976 and a few minurtes later past Dade City, FL.
Royal American Shows was a carnival based in Tampa and required two trains to move all their equipment and personnel. This is the first section.
Sorry that I didn't get the second train. I think this was in May, 1976.
-JH

Date: 11/26/15 00:24
Re: SCL/Royal American Shows 1976
Author: Panamerican99

Last at Zephyrhills and one more passing Dade City.

Date: 11/26/15 04:09
Author: mp51w

If you are interested in more Royal American Shows pictures, they actually have a group page on Facebook;  https://www.facebook.com/Royal-American-Shows-275162654085/?fref=ts
I have a lot of memories of this carnival, as they used to be the contracted carniaval for the Wisconsin State Fair, that is until Murphy Brothers took over.
They used to park their ex-New York Central baggage car on the spur track across 84th st..

Date: 11/26/15 04:55
Author: AndyBrown

Great photos!  It would be nice to see some of the flatcar loads too if you took any.  Nice weedy ROW there at Zephyrhills.

Andy

Date: 11/26/15 05:14
Author: SCAX3401

The Zephyrhills Depot is still there today, well not exactly, it was moved a couple hundred feet west.  It is a wonderful musuem with several displays, a gift shop and a model train layout.  It is surrounded by a nice park with a SCL caboose that you can go inside.  I happened upon it by chance a few years back.  Nice place to spend an afternoon.

Date: 11/26/15 08:59
Author: garr

SCL of the '70s, GE's and GP40's. Nice series of photos.

With coal loads and oil train downs, hard to see how lower margin intermodal alone combined with other commodities left is going to be able to keepthe tracks to the higher level specs needed to keep railroads competitive in the higher level intermodal market.

Jay

Posted from Android

Date: 11/26/15 11:24
Author: RFandPFan

Great photos.  I'm curious, given the weed growth, was this line used less back then than it is today?  Did most of the traffic go to Lakeland from Vitis Junction?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1507 seconds