Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > WABAC 133/ The 4449 and the Rogue River Daylight (7/7)

Date: 02/06/16 10:06
WABAC 133/ The 4449 and the Rogue River Daylight (7/7)
Author: BoilingMan

Part 7even  FIN
The end of this series.
Photo 2.   Diesel-Electric-Steam SD9 Hybrid.  The only one I ever saw...
Photo 4.  Running off somewhere to turn the '49.
SR

Date: 02/06/16 10:07
Re: WABAC 133/ The 4449 and the Rogue River Daylight (7/7)

Date: 02/06/16 10:31
Author: hogheaded

Last shot: fantastic!

Re steam/diesel hybrid: looks like some guy put the steam generator where the main generator should have been. Bad modeling!

EO

Date: 02/06/16 13:53
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Nice shots!

I'll probably get flamed for saying it but, we've seen the 4449 so much (which I'm thankful for) and it's been so long since the SD-9's ruled the SP, that at this point, the 4332 is the most interesting subject in the photo's, for me.

Date: 02/07/16 07:37
Author: hogheaded

You know SR, I was - as I suppose you must be - a little curious about the light responses to your "Rouge" River series. Then it hit me. My flippant responses came out of appreciation of something that I really don't have meaningful knowledge about : art. I think that most of the guys on TO's suffer from the same deal. I'm a railfan whose basic understanding of art stops with a vague comprehension of the rule-of-thirds. Otherwise I'm all sixes and sevens. BUT I do know what I like, and I do like Steinheimer's interpretation on things a hell of a lot more than the trite, close-in-3/4 Beebe-esque crap that is the de-facto standard of railfan photography. Yours photos of late (I especially include your Donner M/W series in this) fall more within Steinheimer's realm than Beebe's, so I really don't know how to give them a proper due. Though I only met Steinheimer a couple of times, his work speaks for itself, and I judge that his comment upon your photos would be something like, "Huh? 4449, 4432? What's that got to do anything?"

Also, thanks for screwing up on spelling so often. If it weren't for that, I got nuthin.

EO

Date: 02/07/16 08:09

Good Lord EO! A long night in the Tiki Bar!  Someone help me get the big guy up off the floor and into bed!

Actually, no, thank you for the kind words. Stein was a hero of mine.  I've always tried to record events like this one in a sort journalistic fashion- but with an artists eye.  "I want to get this- but how would Stein shoot it?"
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds