Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunset Wreck Mystery

Date: 02/06/16 22:41
Sunset Wreck Mystery
Author: ats90mph

I came across these photos recently, it appears to be a sideswipe or derailment between what appears to be Train 2 (Sunset) and a freight. Perhaps somewhere in New Mexico or Texas. Any info is appreciated, TIA. 

Edit: Looking at the number board, it could also be an "8". I can't find record of a "Train 8", so there could be a number proceeding it. I suppose this could also be somewhere on the Overland Route (or even the Shatsa Line)...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/16 00:00 by ats90mph.

Date: 02/06/16 23:57
Re: Sunset Wreck Mystery
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I vote 'no' on the sideswipe.

Date: 02/07/16 02:17
Author: MMD

Looks to me as if it has been at the crossing of two trains,   an 'over run' at siding some where.    There are semaphore signals in the photos and the most damage is on the 'Left Hand Side'  so not a full front on crash.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 02/07/16 05:00
Author: ATSF3751

The number on the PA is a "2"

Date: 02/07/16 06:46
Author: ats90mph

MMD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks to me as if it has been at the crossing of
> two trains,   an 'over run' at siding some
> where.    There are semaphore signals in the
> photos and the most damage is on the 'Left Hand
> Side'  so not a full front on crash.
>
> Malcolm
> New Zealand.

Looking at it closer, it does appear it overtook a freight almost in the clear. Since a caboose was involved, more than likely, that's what's on fire...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/16 06:48 by ats90mph.

Date: 02/07/16 06:57
Author: Englewood

Love those 6-wheel truck RPO's.
Weren't those ordered for the Sunset?

Interesting arrangement of signals.
In picture 1 there is a signal mast for eastbound trains alongside the passenger train that
appears to be very tall and is missing the top blade. 
There is also a westbound signal in picture 1 on the other side of the train.  Hard to tell if that
is for the track the passenger train is on or the adjacent track.

The cantilever signal bridge for westbound trains in picture 2 is interesting. It is just a single head so
it would seem the location is the east end of a siding.  However the use of a cantilever signal would indicate
that there are two tracks continuing east of this location. 

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/16 07:47 by Englewood.

Date: 02/07/16 07:16
Author: overland28

It's the eastward Sunset Limited somewhere in Texas.  Those are T&NO PA units.

Jeff

Date: 02/07/16 11:44
Author: dan

and sunset consist

Date: 02/07/16 13:05
Author: RonSD70

This may be a candidate for the collision in the photographs. http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Document?db=DOT-RAILROAD&query=%28select+3127%29 August 23, 1947, Saline, Ark.

Ron Butts
Lincoln, CA

Date: 02/07/16 16:05
Author: MILW16

RonSD70 Wrote:
> This may be a candidate for the collision in the
> photographs.  August 23, 1947, Saline, Ark.

I don't think those pictures were taken in southwest Arkansas. No trees in view what so ever.  The train consist is too long and there is no heavyweight (steel framed) car readily visible.  I don't know what the PAs were numbered - that could be the concluding evidence.  Interesting account, however.

Date: 02/07/16 16:21
Author: Topfuel

There's no question the train is the Sunset Limited.  Can't vouch for the location, though.

Date: 02/07/16 17:03
Author: hazegray

RonSD70 Wrote:
> This may be a candidate for the collision in the photographs.  August 23, 1947, Saline, Ark.

Could be, but the report says passenger consist was 6 cars.... there seem to be more than that in the photo.
>
>
>  

Date: 02/08/16 12:27
Author: agentatascadero

Well, The Sunset Limited was streamlined in 1950, if that helps set the time frame.  No way is this the wreck in Arkansas mentioned above.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 02/09/16 09:06
Author: elueck

First, this is train #2, the Eastbound Sunset.

Second, the accident is located at the west switch of a siding with a long straight section of track west of the siding.  

Third,  Judging from the photos, there may be a highway on the south side of the railroad tracks because there are quite a few bystanders, and I doubt that passengers were let off of the train.

Fourth, It is VERY FLAT.

Fifth,  It appears that the turnout for the siding switch is left hand, placing the siding on the north side of the main line.

While I cannot see any mountains in the background, the one section of railroad that this fits extremely well is the 38 mile long tangent from north of Chispa to south of Ryan (west of Marfa).

There are only two small hamlets along that route, Valentine and Ryan.   Both have passing sidings,but the west siding switch is right handed, which rules them out.

There is a siding midway between the two, which has a left hand turnout on the west end, but I do not know its name, so you SP guys can help out here.

Other than that, if it is in Texas, that is the best that I can do.  

Date: 02/09/16 10:03
Author: wabash2800

Quite a few accident reports are missing from the ICC Special Collections site. I agree, the report referenced didn't seem to match.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds