Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunrise at Wellington: Breakfast, anyone?

Date: 02/07/16 10:00
Sunrise at Wellington: Breakfast, anyone?
Author: santafe199

Here’s a photo I posted over 3 years ago for Toto Tuesday. The story behind it is still the same ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2906559,2906559#msg-2906559 ), but the recent new slide scan is much sharper. After looking a bit deeper into my timebook my crew would have to get a quick nap in: we would go back to work at 1:20 PM on a 713 train. After we all had that big breakfast I doubt we had anything more than a very light lunch. But I’m sure we had some sort of lunch. It’s just common sense! What would usually be a 3 or 4 hour trip could go haywire and you might be out there a l-o-o-o-n-g time, before getting close to a meal again…

1. AT&SF 8713 is stopped at the yard office in Wellington, KS for a crew change on March 15, 1980.

Thanks for looking again!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 20:54 by santafe199.

Date: 02/07/16 13:53
Re: Sunrise at Wellington: Breakfast, anyone?
Author: Cumbres

Nice glint

Date: 02/07/16 14:31
Author: ddg

Nothing quite like a Santa Fe sunrise. Saw quite a few. All I wanted to do was crawl off, tie up, and head straight for the hotel, and go to bed. But, after fighting sleep all night on the trip down, and even though I needed to sleep till it was dark again, my body kept saying "The sun's coming up, and you need to be awake!". So, I would sleep till about noon, maybe, and then be awake again until I made it back home to my own bed.

Date: 02/07/16 18:32
Author: SCKP187

Nice sunrise---looks like you just finished the toughest part of the 24 hr staying awake.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/07/16 19:10
Author: santafe199

SCKP187 Wrote: > ... toughest part of the 24 hr staying awake...

Sorta. It could get pretty hard sometimes, but I have no doubt the shorter basic 100 mile districts saved an uncountable number of train crewmen lives. But in those days we didn't have it NEARLY as tough as the average crew has it today with 200-300 mile runs. RR management & greedy stockholders LOVE it!  But then THEY don't have to fight going to sleep as a chronic every other day or so chore, that goes against all normal human functions & body cycles. I know. I spent my last 23 years doing just that...

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds