Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > Wabash Delmar, MO station

Date: 02/10/16 07:00
Wabash Delmar, MO station
Author: twropr

I believe this was a fairly new structure designed to attract suburban patrons.  Was the station located within the St. Louis city limits, or one of the nearby suburbs?
An interesting tibdit is that it was served by both trains from the north (Chicago/Detroit) and from the west (KC).
Did it generate fairly good patronage?  Can it be accessed by a passenger train today?
Thanks!
Andy

Date: 02/10/16 07:33
Re: Wabash Delmar, MO station
Author: jphjaxfl322

The Delmar Blvd Station was in Northwest St. Louis where the Wabash Railroad crossed over Delmar Blvd.  I believe it was in the City.  For a while in the late 40s and 50s, Wabash originated a Sleeping Car for Chicago at Delmar Blvd.  Wabash also advertised that you could change trains at Delmar Blvd from the Chicago and Detroit lines to the Kansas City line wihout going to Union Station.  Tower Grove Station in Southwest St. Louis was also a suburban station that served passenger trains of the Missouri Pacific and Frisco and was more convenient than going to Union Station.  I remember arriving at Tower Grove Station at 8:05AM on the Texas Eagle from Little Rock and Texas points which was a full 25 minutes before it arrived at St. Louis Union Station.

Date: 02/10/16 15:01
Re: Wabash Delmar, MO station
Author: mopac1978

The Delmar station building still stands but I believe it is unused.  The Wabash right of way here is part of the Metrolink light rail system, there is a Metrolink stop immediately north of the Wabash station.  I wouldn't so much call it northwest of St.Louis, it's more like part of the Central West End, and sits just a few blocks north of Forest Park.  I remember as a kid my parents taking me out to ride the Delmar streetcar line shortly before it quit.  Now, there's an effort going on to rebuild a short stretch of streetcar track just west of the Delmar station to serve the University City / Delmar Loop area.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds