Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > WABAC 138/ There's a train, but this is not about that...

Date: 02/10/16 09:48
WABAC 138/ There's a train, but this is not about that...
Author: BoilingMan

1980's
Switch 9 (Near Emigrant Gap)
This is about the signal that used to be at Switch 9.  Someone, years before, took a short cut...
Pretty cool!
This signal was my fav on The Hill in those days.
SR

Date: 02/10/16 10:01
Re: WABAC 138/ There's a train, but this is not about that...
Author: hogheaded

Have you ever considered joining the "Adopt a Signal" program, SR? For only 18 cents a day you can save a worthy signal of your choice. Regular membership benefits include a newsletter, "Signal THIS!"; an attractive pin to place on your engineer's cap if you have room; a wiring schematic and 8X10 glossy photo of your signal signed by the signal maintainer, as well as personal Twitter updates. Contributing memberships also entitle you to a can of signal grease and a shovel full of sand.

EO

Date: 02/10/16 11:14
Author: spnudge

Looks like they left an old semaphore head on top and just turned it  90 Degrees or it could have been the bottom of a two indication semaphore signal; and they just cut the top section off.

I think the left hand ?  rail has been gone for a long time.

Nudge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/16 11:19 by spnudge.

Date: 02/10/16 11:17
Author: WAF

The other notable item is that this e/b is running on the Number One track

Date: 02/10/16 11:45
Author: wigwag

A few years ago, I was sitting in my rental vehicle near the top of the dirt road that leads up to the track straight ahead in the pic and a huge boulder fell off that hill next to where I was parked. Missed my vehicle by less than 10 feet!

Date: 02/10/16 12:51
Author: crackerjackhoghead

That signal is also unusual in that the standard practice, for the SP, was to have the case door to the field side.

Date: 02/10/16 17:52
Author: gonx

By chance did you shoot the other signal (the  single head one that had a safety catwalk to access it) ?

I always called it "the orphan" because very few wb movements would come down the #2 track at that spot and I am not sure if anything other than a lunar could be displayed.

SR
You would've been crushed to see your favorite signal laying off the side in the mud replaced by a newer and shorter mast after Moyer's butcher job of single tracking in the 90s.

Date: 02/10/16 19:39
Author: FiveChime

Place looks familar, but somehow I must of missed the signal!

5/30/1968

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 02/10/16 21:02

> You would've been crushed to see your favorite
> signal laying off the side in the mud replaced by
> a newer and shorter mast after Moyer's butcher job
> of single tracking in the 90s.

If only you had been a charter member of the "Adopt a Signal" program back then, SR. Alas...

EO

Date: 02/11/16 07:26

Yeah?
Well maybe if you had a few operators standing by!
At least PBS & NPR have the good sense not to set up their people in the Bamboo Room.
SR

Date: 02/11/16 07:46

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah?
> Well maybe if you had a few operators standing
> by!
> At least PBS & NPR have the good sense not to set
> up their people in the Bamboo Room.
> SR

Sadly, the Adopt a Signal program has not produced the desired result anyway. So far, all that we have saved is a flashlight and three dead batteries. My other venture at fund raising (Hey Todd, would you make the bleeping links fuschia colored so people know they are there? regards EO) has done even worse: zippo. I assess that the railfoam community is full of tightwads.

EO

Date: 02/11/16 07:50

or good sense....   who knew?!
SR

Date: 02/11/16 10:03
Author: ShastaDaylight

Great photos and my thanks to both of you! I loved the short-lived ALCO Century era on The Hill, and I too miss the SP signals along that line. Thanks for sharing!

ShastaDaylight

Date: 02/11/16 23:17

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Place looks familar, but somehow I must of missed
> the signal!
>
> 5/30/1968
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

For what it's worth- This "Style B" searchlight was pretty rare.  Although, if you looked around you could find other searchlight signals that had started life as semaphores. (the give-away was an unused concrete pad in front of the ladder, because as a much taller semaphore- the ladder landed further out)   But usually when they lobbed off the top of the mast, the old crank case was lost.  Somehow it survived at Switch 9.  I always though it was pretty cool.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds