Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > Southern Pacific WCEUM, 21 summers ago

Date: 04/22/16 17:55
Southern Pacific WCEUM, 21 summers ago
Author: bakersfielddave

i recall only ever seeing the new SD70M units on the Eugene trains usually WB early in the morniing and  EB late afternoon

they must have been captive to these hauls at the time ?

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/22/16 19:06
Re: Southern Pacific WCEUM, 21 summers ago
Author: Railbaron

bakersfielddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> they must have been captive to these hauls at the time ?

They were.

It also fun because for a while coming north with the light empty trains they tried running them from West Colton to Eugene without refueling. Sure, EMD said they had the range but they didn't take into consideration delays and wind resistance of the empty cars resulting in higher throttle positions. There was more than one train that crested over at Cascade Summit and then had the lead unit die account no fuel (I had one of those trains) - the fuel pick-up was in the rear of the tank and with the unit facing downhill the fuel would flow away from the pick-up and the unit would die. Fun times!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/16 19:07 by Railbaron.

Date: 04/23/16 10:15
Author: sphogger

Seems like we we're always running out of something in those days.  Cooling water, lube oil, governor oil, even axle gear box lube.  Those 9800's were a real treat with good seats, working AC and best of all .... working speedometers.  But, 2 units and a dynamiter was no fun....

Sphogger

Date: 04/25/16 22:37
Author: atsf121

I've got a picture of an SP SD70M leading a train in to Martinez on the Cal-P around 95-96, but it did seem like they were mostly used on the I-5 trains.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds