Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP in Laramie?

Date: 05/03/16 17:31
UP in Laramie?
Author: donstrack

Is this Laramie?

There are lots and lots of ties, or sticks of rail stacked up in the background.

The GP unit is likely of of the UP 295-299 series units, which had both steam generators and large pilot snow plows.

Don Strack

Date: 05/03/16 19:35
Re: UP in Laramie?
Author: turbine

No Don, it looks more like Cheyenne to me with the taller buildings in the background and the track layout.View looking south to north.

Larry

Date: 05/03/16 19:49
Author: retcsxcfm

Tain't Laramie.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/03/16 19:55
Author: mamfahr

> ...it looks more like Cheyenne to me with the taller buildings in the background and the track layout.View looking south to north.

Larry,

I agree, looking northwest across the east end of the Cheyenne yard.

Mark

Date: 05/03/16 20:55
Author: UP6936

I don't think it is Cheyenne.  I don't know what the big structure in uppper right area is, and I don't see the Capital in the picture.  Which would be clearly visible from this location.  

Date: 05/03/16 22:45
Author: CPW548

Photographer is standing on the approach to or on the bridge itself (old bridge), at the east end on the yard. Tower and depot out of frame to the left, capital bldg out of frame to right. Mainlines would be just beyond the gondolas seen in upper right of the photo above the cabeese.

Zach Green
Parker, CO

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/16 22:46 by CPW548.

Date: 05/04/16 05:00
Author: donstrack

Cheyenne it is. The row of store department cranes should have been my biggest clue.

Taken from the south approach of the Logan Ave. bridge, as shown in the attached Google street view, and the attached USGS topo map from 1961.

Thanks. I never thought of Cheyenne. Don't know why.

Don Strack

Date: 05/04/16 05:49
Author: Bob3985

Don, I agree. It is Cheyenne. The capitol dome can be faintly seen just to the left of the smokestack and I believe that is the hospital being built.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/04/16 09:58
Author: UP6936

The first picture shows them building the Federal Building downtown.  That is an image I haven't seen before.  Yeah it is Cheyenne.  

Date: 05/04/16 10:27
Author: callum_out

Don the one big giveaway on the shot is that there is nothing in the Laramie skyline to make it a skyline!

Out

Date: 05/04/16 11:29
Author: ATSF93

If you're trying to date the image, the newest vehicle is the Chevy pickup, 64-66 model.
Fred in Wichita, where the skylines have grain elevators.

Date: 05/04/16 12:36
Author: BillMarvel

Don -- 295-299 engines used on tne Yoder mixed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds