Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Nostalgia & History > OK, museum guys, how do I get a RR car painted?

Date: 05/03/16 17:35
OK, museum guys, how do I get a RR car painted?
Author: march_hare

Within the next month or so, we will be moving our CN caboose 79270 to a position next to the workshop, and doing some rehab work inside so it can serve as our office. But, truth be told, the car was last painted in 1990 and needs a repaint.   ( If you want an idea of the project, it's a 1967 Hawker Siddley car, and there's currently a picture of a sister on the Canadian board). 

Any suggestions on how to contract this job out?  Metal is totally sound, but the CN orange paint  is peeling in places. I assume this is Imron, high-lead paint, so I want it done by someone who knows what they're doing. Are there any contractors out there who specialize in work like this, or should I contact auto repainting shops?

How  do museums do this kind of work on site?  How do they handle the lead issue?

Gardiner Cross
Cripplebush Valley Models

Date: 05/03/16 21:53
Re: OK, museum guys, how do I get a RR car painted?
Author: asheldrake

Gardiner,
​an organization that has recently done some locomotive repainting here in Portland:  Southern Pride Equipment Painting, Newman GA, 678-850-6462....they also have a nice web site.  this company recently brought in a giant tent and painted two locomotives and they look good.   the Troutdale Historical Society, a community to the east of Portland, has a caboose that they may have this company repaint.   not very many companys doing this business.......I have been advised against truck painters....for one, they aren't set up to do "on location" painting, a real speciality. 
​   Arlen Sheldrake
​   Portland OR 

Date: 05/04/16 07:11
Re: OK, museum guys, how do I get a RR car painted?
Author: EMDSW-1

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gardiner,
> ​an organization that has recently done some
> locomotive repainting here in Portland:  Southern
> Pride Equipment Painting, Newman GA,
> 678-850-6462....they also have a nice web site. 
> this company recently brought in a giant tent and
> painted two locomotives and they look good.  
> the Troutdale Historical Society, a community to
> the east of Portland, has a caboose that they may
> have this company repaint.   not very many
> companys doing this business.......I have been
> advised against truck painters....for one, they
> aren't set up to do "on location" painting, a real
> speciality. 
> ​   Arlen Sheldrake
> ​   Portland OR 

Thanks Arlen for chiming in...you saved me a post!  These guys are FAST and do quality work! They are the painter of choice for the Genesee & Wyoming operations.

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds