Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > A BN twilight gem.

Date: 05/03/16 18:10
A BN twilight gem.
Author: tomstp

Every now and then my friend John McCall reaches into his photos and sends me  a gem.  A gem such as this eastward   BN train traversing the twilight of the panhandle just east of Dimmitt, Tx.  It has been said that in the Texas Panhandle you can look to the east and see tomorrow coming and look west and see yesterday, so flat is the land. But, I promise you that  SD-7 had a harder time going west rather than east  because in spite of looking flat the land definitely is up hill going west.

I always admired the color of purple in the sky.  John, ya did good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 12:00 by tomstp.

Date: 05/03/16 18:18
Re: A BN twilight gem.
Author: czephyr17

Very nice!  I was just out in that part of the country visiting Palo Duro Canyon, and the description of the flatness is very appropo (well except for the canyon, of course).  

Do you have any idea about what year this photo was taken?

Date: 05/03/16 18:31
Author: tomstp

December 1986.

Date: 05/03/16 21:09
Author: gonx

Beautiful shot!

Date: 05/04/16 01:45
Author: 6ET

I would say that's C&S 819, an SD7.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/06/16 05:59
Author: czephyr17

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pulled up after the merger. Gem indeed. Only the
> sun and grass remains.

That's not correct.  The line from Plainview to Dimmitt is still there.  BNSF sold it to Iowa Pacific a few years ago to operate as part of the West Texas & Lubbock, then in 2015 it was sold to Watco to operate as part of the Lubbock & Western Railway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds