Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe coal-Aikman, KS in 1989

Date: 05/03/16 21:28
Santa Fe coal-Aikman, KS in 1989
Author: Gateway97

I caught a Santa Fe coal movement at Aikman, KS in August of 1989. Is this likely a York Canyon train? I cant recall the car markings.

Date: 05/04/16 04:22
Re: Santa Fe coal-Aikman, KS in 1989
Author: sfn2633

This would not be a York Canyon train.  This is probably a RedRock OK coal train.  York Canyon did not start running until 1992 and ran via La Junta sub north of Aikman.

Jeff N

Date: 05/04/16 08:00
Author: ddg

A late date for an 8700. I looked through my 1989 timebook, and only found two after August of '89. Both of them on trains I worked between Kansas City and Arkansas City, KS. One was 8744, and the other was the 8738 in your photo, both trailing units, and both in October. Each page has numerious 9500's though.

Date: 05/04/16 08:29
Author: Milw_E70

That's definitely a Red Rock set and it looks like there's some armour yellow toward the rear of the consist.

Date: 05/04/16 09:15
Author: ntharalson

The signal shown, now gone, was for the siding.  As best as I could tell, it was to allow two trains to 
occupy the siding at the same time, although I never saw it work.  Is that true.  

Nice shot, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/04/16 11:40
Author: ddg

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The signal shown, now gone, was for the siding.
>  As best as I could tell, it was to allow two
> trains to 
> occupy the siding at the same time, although I
> never saw it work.  Is that true.  
>
> Nice shot, thanks for posting.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Yes, two trains in the same direction could use the siding at the same time. (and Cassoday worked the same way)  If the first train pulled down far enough for the rear end to clear the intermediate, then a following train could come into the siding with a signal other than stop. But as the trains got longer and longer, most of the time the first train was too long to clear the intermediate, so the following train would have to stop and get permission to flag in behind the first one, and by then, it wouldn't clear the main line until the first one left, causing delay to the opposing train they were going to meet. So they were removed, not a problem anymore.

Date: 05/04/16 12:16

Now that you mention it, I do recall them mentioning Red Rock on the scanner.  Thanks!  

Date: 05/04/16 18:10
Author: santafe199

Wow... this place, and your shot at Bazaar look sorta familiar! (Like I've been there before... ;^)  I wonder where those signboards are now???

Lance/199

Date: 05/04/16 21:13

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow... this place, and your shot at Bazaar look
> sorta familiar! (Like I've been there before...
> ;^)  I wonder where those signboards are now???
>
> Lance/199

I don't know, but I'd love to have one!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds