Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Bay Area Auto Parts Trains

Date: 05/04/16 13:22
Bay Area Auto Parts Trains
Author: rob_l

I received the Spring 2016 issue of The Streamliner, magazine of the UP Historical Society, in the mail yesterday. It should be available in hobby stores soon if not already. The cover article concerns the FAST and ARRO auto parts trains to the Bay Area auto assembly plants during the 1970s and 1980s, including operations over DT&I, N&W, CRIP, UP, MP, DRGW, SP and WP. Another article in this issue describes shipping automobiles in boxcars to the Bay Area during the 1940s and 1950s. Attached is the cover photo for this issue. You can learn about UPHS by going to the UPHS web site, http://uphs.org/welcome-to-uphs/ . The subsequent links will explain membership categories and provide you the means to sign up on-line. If you like, you can become a member and have the magazine mailed to you.

The UP Historical Society's convention this year will be held in Sacramento July 27-30. Speakers include: Dick and Kevin Dorn (snow removal on Donner Pass), Mike Ongerth (the Capitol Corridor), Joel Ashcroft (the Frazier slide), Stuart Forsyth (Cajon Pass during WWII), Jeff Asay (the Central Pacific Agreement), John Gray (intermodal efforts at Western Pacific), Bill Meeker (WP lines in the UP era), Mike Hemmer (who pays how much for passenger trains on freight RR tracks), John Rebensdorf (the last 50 years of UP in Nor Cal, banquet speaker), and yours truly (UP-SP and UP-WP joint operations in the 1970s). A complete schedule and registration form are available at http://uphs.org/conventions/current-convention/ .

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 05/04/16 15:01
Re: Bay Area Auto Parts Trains
Author: valmont

Received my copy of The Streamliner yesterday and have already read both the articles that Rob mentioned .... they are extremely informative and presented in a wide-based historical context. Now, after all those years photographing UP trains on the main during countess trips to Wyoming, I actually know what was in some of those cars and how it all worked .... but building Model T's in the Mission District of San Francisco in 1913???? Didn't see that one coming!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds