Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Nostalgia & History > North Western Wednesday..... The "Hot Rod" Geep 50's

Date: 05/04/16 15:39
North Western Wednesday..... The "Hot Rod" Geep 50's
Author: ATSF100WEST

Following Santa Fe practice in 1980, the Chicago & North Western decided to give four-axle units a try - in the form of E.M.D. GP50's - for use on their Premium Intermodal trains. The images below (to me) convey succinctly the good looks and brutish appearance of these units. I remember seeing them here in Southern California on UP' "Super Van" trains, and wishing I could see them on a more frequent basis.

Thanks to photographers James Claflin and the late Paul Meyers, I can now vicariously re-visit my dream.

Until next time.....

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 05/04/16 20:10
Re: North Western Wednesday..... The "Hot Rod" Geep 50's
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice ones, Bob!

Date: 05/04/16 21:00
Author: CNW8531

Oh yes, I remember them well.  Great shots and a fond look back at the good old days!

Date: 05/04/16 21:10
Author: BigSkyBlue

Watched 243 the midnight Falcon come through Nelson, IL a couple of times with 4 of these GP50's on the point.  They would go by the tower working power at 70 MPH and then the engineer would make a massive brake application for the 45 MPH curves west of town and every piggyback would have fire flying from the wheels as they went by.  The C&NW was quite a show in the late 70's-early 80's as they rose above the Rock and Milwaukee.  BSB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 21:12 by BigSkyBlue.

Date: 05/04/16 21:56
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos--really pleasing look to them.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/05/16 07:52
Author: ntharalson

CNW8531 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yes, I remember them well.  Great shots and a
> fond look back at the good old days!

Yes, we do remember them well.  When I arrived in Cedar Rapids some 30 years ago, they were the primary
power for all the westbound trains to the UP and eastbound trains off the UP, plus random others.  I can still
remember CNW8531 and others, including myself, saying, geez, it'd be nice if there was something besides
a GP50 on the point.  Ten years later, we'd kill to get one.  

Thanks for posting, Bob.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/05/16 15:08
Author: PasadenaSub

Great memories, Bob.  One of the classiest schemes worn by the GP50s.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds