Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where & When and on what RR Line ?

Date: 05/04/16 20:08
Where & When and on what RR Line ?
Author: DaveL

Hint #1
Only someone with way too much time on their hands will get this one.

DaveL

Date: 05/04/16 22:53
Re: Where & When and on what RR Line ?
Author: LarryB

WAG:  Western Pacific on the HiLine.  I have no idea when.  My only logic for WP is that they seemed to like those big plows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/16 22:54 by LarryB.

Date: 05/04/16 23:42
Author: pmack

Is the plow a Henschel?  Maybe German?

Date: 05/05/16 09:31
Author: icancmp193

Norvel, CA (highest point on the Hi-Line) on #3.

Tom Y

Date: 05/05/16 11:42
Author: DWDebs/2472

Norway, on the Bergensbana (crosses the mountains between Oslo and Bergen), somewhere on the approach to Hardangervidda? (Must be a low-alititude section, because the higher-altitude sections of the line over the Hardangervidda are well above timberline.) 
Date could be anywhere between line opening (27 November 1909) and dieselization (started 1958; diesels replaced on through trains by electrification in 1964).

Here is a "warm summertime" view, copied from Wikipedia (link below), of a freight train about to enter the new summit tunnel (opened 1992) at Finse.  Note the glaciers in the background.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Bergensbanen2.jpg/1920px-Bergensbanen2.jpg
More info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergen_Line

- Doug Debs

Date: 05/05/16 13:16

Doug, you are --almost-- a genius !
But, not quite......your country is correct, not the rest.

DaveL

Date: 05/06/16 12:27
Author: DWDebs/2472

I'm familiar with the Bergensbana before the massive infrastructure upgrades (new summit tunnel at Finse, etc) that started in the 1980s, after North Sea oil-drilling money started pouring into Norway.

As a University of California exchange student in Bergen 1973-1974, I rode the Bergensbana more than 24 times.  It's an awesome trip through the mountains, summer or winter.  Student discounts made train travel very affordable.  Occasionally I would take the noon train from Bergen to Oslo.  It arrived around 7:40pm.  I had just enough time to get to the National Theatre to see a play with Liv Ullman, and then dash back to the station to catch the night sleeper train back to Bergen.  (Ah, the nearly limitless energy of youth!)  During the winter, I would often see the rotary snowplow at Finse, pushed by a Di-3 diesel locomotive (basically a double-ended F-unit carbody with SD9 mechanical features: 1750HP EMD 16-567 engine, 3-axle C-C trucks to spread out the weight; built under license by Nohab in Trollhättan, Sweden).

So if its not on the Bergensbana, I'd guess maybe its on the Gudbrandsdal line between Oslo and Trondheim?

- Doug

Date: 05/06/16 19:00

Ah Doug, you make me very jealous !!!
But, you have forgotten the one line in Norway that I consider even better than the Oslo-Bergen Line.
There are cab rides of 9:50 hours in all four seasons; The Nordland Line from Trondheim to Bodo.
Here is the URL for the NRK tv show that- IF- you know Norwegian is very informative. It is taken from the raw 9:50 hour footage. (All 4 are on U-Tube)

Nordlandsbanen: Minutt for minutt – NRK.no

Dave L

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds