Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Historic Southern Pacific Photo Story ......

Date: 05/24/16 10:03
Historic Southern Pacific Photo Story ......
Author: KeyRouteKen

ATTENTION Trainorders Posters---   Tomorrow (5-25) or probably Thursday (5-26) , I will be posting one of my famous KRK photo stories, this one having to do with "MAINTENANCE OF WAY" ... There will be "95" photos !!  It will be quite unique.   Combining Maintenance of Way workers with Indians, Cowboys, Horses, Burros, Firearms, assorted Live Steam models, and "who knows what" !    Probably a FIRST for Trainorders !!  If you are really a big fan of the SOUTHERN PACIFIC--- really BIG--- then you will thoroughly like this photo story !!   ALL photos from the late 1920's--- middle 1930's time period !!   As a means of welcoming 'ME' back to Trainorders, I thought I would give you a treat !!   Watch for It !!!    Ken Shattock  (KRK)

Date: 05/24/16 10:14
Re: Historic Southern Pacific Photo Story ......
Author: hogheaded

Quite a send-up, Ken! Welcome back after, what, ten minutes away from TO's.

Along with the cowboys, burros and whatever, do you have any photos of cute little kittens? I love cute little kittens.

EO

Date: 05/24/16 10:34
Author: patd3985

Or butterflies! We just love butterflies! As long as they don't kick too hard! (Just kiddin', Ken!...Can't wait!)

Date: 05/24/16 12:02
Author: agentatascadero

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite a send-up, Ken! Welcome back after, what,
> ten minutes away from TO's.
>
> Along with the cowboys, burros and whatever, do
> you have any photos of cute little kittens? I love
> cute little kittens.
>
> EO
>
>                                   I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of bunk cars and work trains...likely to have dogs and cats included, maybe some of those adorable kittens too!  My most favorite rairoad cat(s) live in the shops in E. Ely.  Looking forward to seing the contents of KRK's vault.  AA
>  

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/24/16 13:02
Author: hogheaded

Stan wrote:
> Looking forward to seeing the contents of KRK's vault.

Yeah! 1920's and 30's are a heck of a lot more intriguing than the SP bloody nose stuff that I'm usually guilty of posting... and hopefully there are those kittens.

EO
Stan, I cleaned up your spelling a little. How many beers constituted lunch today?

Date: 05/24/16 15:30
Author: ShastaDaylight

Ken,

My cat "Shasta" (what else?) will enjoy any cat photos you include. As for me, anything Key System or SP is just fine. On a serious note, do you have any photos showing the line through the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, particularly the old tunnel? When you have a chance, I would love to see those, and I'll bet a number of others here on TO would too...

Looking forward to your "big" posting!

Best wishes,

ShastaDaylight

Date: 05/24/16 16:06
Author: agentatascadero

Ed, Thanks for your thoughtfulness and concern.  I did not know it is possible to edit an entry someone else posted.....AND you missed one error, which I just corrected.  As to your beer question.....silly boy, there's a big game tonight (Warriors - Thunder), so my entire beer ration is saved for game time and later.  That cause of my many errors?  This darn  laptop computer, the mousepad often refuses to cooperate with my so-called commands....not to mention the too many times I simply fail to proofread my entries. Oh, and did I fail to mention my old eyes/mind?  Stan

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/24/16 16:58

ShastaDaylight Wrote:
> Ken,
>
> My cat "Shasta" (what else?) will enjoy any cat
> photos you include. As for me, anything Key System
> or SP is just fine. On a serious note, do you have
> any photos showing the line through the
> Oakland/Berkeley Hills, particularly the old
> tunnel? When you have a chance, I would love to
> see those, and I'll bet a number of others here on
> TO would too...
>
> Looking forward to your "big" posting!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> ShastaDaylight

Seek and Ye Shall Find...  Or, as Art Baker once said :  "Shasta Daylight"-- You Asked for It !!!!

Photo 1.   SN tunnel on Contra Costa side, at EASTPORT, during regular passenger service days.  (Prior July-1941)

Photo 2.  SN tunnel on Contra Costa side, at EASTPORT, during final BAERA Excursion--  January 1957.

Photo 3.  SN tunnel on Contra Costa side, at EASTPORT, after February 28, 1957.  (Start of Abandonment)

Photos courtesy of Ken Shattock  (KRK)  unless otherwise noted !

Date: 05/24/16 17:09
Author: ShastaDaylight

Ken,

Thanks a lot! These photos are great! I never got to see (much less ride through) the SN East Bay Hills tunnel. Can this still be seen or have they blasted the entrances to keep people out? Also, how close (north or south) of the old original 2-lane Broadway Tunnel (for cars) was the SN bore. I have tried to find the old highway tunnel many times (I recall seeing it on a 1950's East Bay roadmap back in the day) and I believe it was south of the present Caldecott Tunnels on Highway 24. Where was the SN tunnel from those highway bores - south?

Also, I hope your layout at home is doing well...

Thanks again!

Best wishes,

ShastaDaylight

Date: 05/24/16 17:35

More tunnel photos in the Oakland Hills on the Sacramento Northern...

Courtesy of KRK.

Date: 05/25/16 08:18
Author: stash

Slow, steep, with some street running. Never would have survived for mass transit. That is what BART is for. BART runs a good railroad.

phthithu Wrote:
> Thanks KRK. Great photos! They should have kept
> this line open. Would have made great mass transit
> option today. 

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/16 08:28
Author: stash

The original BART test track was on the SN right of way east of Pleasant Hill. Today a chunk of the busy Concord line is on former SN r/w.

phthithu Wrote:
> stash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Slow, steep, with some street running. Never
> would
> > have survived for mass transit. That is what
> BART
> > is for. BART runs a good railroad.
>
> Does BART use any of the old ROW to service the
> area once served by SN? I guess I'm
> prejudiced--just want a cool railroad to shoot:)
>  

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0823 seconds