Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Nostalgia & History > few Santa Fe around Kansas City '74 . . .

Date: 05/25/16 21:31
few Santa Fe around Kansas City '74 . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   from a summer '74 visit to Kansas City area;
​top: Of ten identifiable units visible at Santa Fe's Arginetine engine facility all ten are different models, oh the good old days.
​middle: An eastbound is departing off the main at Argentine yard in Kansas City, KS.
​bottom: The eastbound Super C, "Worlds Fastest Freight" was crossing the MP at Sheffield interlocking in Kansas City, MO.
JB

Date: 05/25/16 21:38
Re: few Santa Fe around Kansas City '74 . . .
Author: AndyBrown

Great views!  I sure do miss the blue and yellow.  Very interesting observation on the 10 units at the shops!

Andy

Date: 05/25/16 21:42
Author: DynamicBrake

Nice trio JB, thanks for sharing.  That first shot is proof of being in the right place at the right time.  Didn't the 5709 get repainted in bicentennial colors?

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 05/26/16 00:23
Author: Hookdragkick

Lucky you. I really dig those GEs. Thanks!

An oldhead engineer used to mention the 'Super C' and how it was "balls to the walls", shaking side to side on little stool; he recalls the caboose ride being the least favorite ride on that particular train and that the head brakeman was always more popular.

The good days were really good.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/16 05:08
Author: ddg

Just one old Alco, off to the right.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/16 06:55

Thanks. Yes, good days to railfan. BiCents only 5700 - 5704, five total. I "think", besides Apache, most units any railroad painted in Bi Cent?  Old ALCO to right is actually a rebuild for hump service.
​JB

Date: 05/26/16 10:36
Author: rrartist

Wow!!! Outstanding images Sir!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/26/16 10:52
Author: SCKP187

Nice set.  Great looking units and trains back in the day.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/26/16 15:27
Author: callum_out

Ah the days when the motive power on the Super C was sometimes longer than the rest of the train!

Out

Date: 05/26/16 18:50
Author: santafe199

DynamicBrake Wrote: > ... Didn't the 5709 get repainted in bicentennial colors?
As JB said, it was the 5700 ~ 5704 inclusive that got R/W/B paint AND the huge Presidential Seal welded onto the walkway stanchions on both sides just behind the cab. I thought it was THE #1 classiest Bicentennial scheme over all other candidates. And there were some great schemes running around the country...

Lance/199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 18:53 by santafe199.

Date: 05/26/16 21:27

The sheilds may have been welded to the sides but unfortunately it didn't take long for the actual Seal to either wash or simply fall off as I have a number of shots of these units in the shceme on the Super with the Seal gone but the circle still there.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 21:28 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 05/27/16 15:32
Author: jtwlunch

I was able to work the Super C as a brakeman for 5 trips over the summer of 1973 as the new SD45-2's were being put into service.  Having an air conditioned engine between Wellington and Waynoka when this train moved across the Plains Division during daylight hours in the summer was great.  We were going eastbound one afternoon with 4 new engines on the point and an old head hogger running at 79 mph.  The A/C froze up because it was so humid and I turned it off to let it thaw out.  After running another hour, we came around a curve and kind of slammed into it and the water now accumulated in the bottom of the A/C unit sloshed out and covered the hogger and the control stand.  The young head brakeman learned some new words from the hogger and was assigned the job of toweling off the control stand.  Those were fun trips run 106 miles in under 2 hours.  When you rode the waycar you just stayed in the cupola and hung on for the ride.

Jim Wilson

Date: 05/27/16 17:31
Author: texchief1

Great shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds