Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > A B&O/C&O Where/What Was It

Date: 05/29/16 12:47
A B&O/C&O Where/What Was It
Author: MartyBernard

Another Roger Puta Photo with no information.  Processors date November 1981,  That's B&O GP35 3545.  But what's the train and where?

Thanks for any info.
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/16 12:48 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/29/16 13:05
Re: A B&O/C&O Where/What Was It
Author: KansasRailHead

I have no idea where it is but that's a cool shot

Posted from Android

Date: 05/29/16 13:22
Re: C&O
Author: timz

How much signalled-both-ways double track
did C&O have?

Date: 05/29/16 13:38
Re: C&O
Author: 3rdswitch

Awesome photo, two big (for the time) units working hard with a passenger train.
JB

Date: 05/29/16 13:43
Author: refarkas

Those look like the cars for the Chessie System steam special train, but they don't seem to have lettering on them.
Bob

Date: 05/29/16 14:05
Author: bridgeportsub

Those are not B&O CPL"s .My guess is its somewhere on the C&O. Great shot wherever it was taken.

Randy

Date: 05/29/16 15:56
Author: ClubCar

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those look like the cars for the Chessie System
> steam special train, but they don't seem to have
> lettering on them.
> Bob
​That is the Chessie Steam Safety Express passenger train that would have been pulled by ex-C&O 614.  The train is being pulled in reverse as I recognize the club car ex-B&O 3302 behind the locomotive and this was the rear observation car on the Steam Safety Express Train.  The location looks like it's on the old C&O line and must have been some place where they may have been pulling the train back to turn it on a wye is my guess.  ??
​As for letterting on the passenger cars; this train did not have lettering, only car numbers and the steam safety logo.
John

Date: 05/29/16 17:49
Author: fhdewey

That was on the C&O. As I remember, the Huntington to Hinton trains would go into Hinton and off-load the passengers. The steam engine would uncouple and go into the yard to be serviced and turned. I believe it was turned on a turntable. Then a diesel would couple onto the rear of the train and take it back to Meadow Creek where it would be wyed on the connection to the NF&G going up toward Rainelle. There was quite a grade on the Rainelle side of the wye and that is why there are two units. They would work hard with the size of some of the Chessie Steam Special and Safety Express trains. After the train was reversed, it would return to Hinton where the passengers reloaded and the steam engine would take the train back to Huntington. There was no extra charge if the passengers wanted to stay on the train for the rare mileage on the wye track at Meadow Creek.

Date: 05/29/16 19:51
Author: MartyBernard

fhdewey

I used your note here on the archived photo: https://flic.kr/p/HvodDU

Thanks.

Marty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds