Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > San Francisco Belt RR 1975 - Old Instamatic Photos

Date: 05/30/16 10:10
San Francisco Belt RR 1975 - Old Instamatic Photos
Author: AlcoRSD15

When I was 16 years old, I used to take the bus to downtown San Francisco, and search along the waterfront for the SF Belt Alco switcher working along the piers.  Sometimes they would let me ride with them.  I only could afford a cheap Kodak Instamatic camera, first the kind that shot square photos (126 film I think), and after that broke, the kind that shot rectangular pics (110 film?).  Here are some blurry photos of the SF Belt in action in 1974 and 1975, not the best quality but the subject matter may be of interest to some fans.  I'm attaching them in groups in order to keep them small and from not looking too fuzzy.
First set:  1,2, SF Belt #23 going down Northpoint Street.  3: #23 pops out of the east portal of the Fort Mason tunnel and is about to pass Ghirardelli Square.  #4:  Riding #23 along the Embarcadero.  5: #23 entering the Fort Mason tunnel at the west end.
- Eric Blasko

Date: 05/30/16 10:12
Re: San Francisco Belt RR 1975 - Old Instamatic Photos

Second set:  1: #23 passes Fisherman's Wharf.  2, 3: Picking up flat cars at Crissy Field.  My friend David Thompson (in photo 2) was along for the ride on this occasion.
- E.B.

Date: 05/30/16 10:57
Author: sagehen

Yes, photo quality not that good, but good to have!  We don't see pictures in that area often.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

Stan

Date: 05/30/16 10:59
Author: doge_of_pocopson

These are fantastic for folks who never got to see the SFBRR run on Northpoint or a train go through the Ft Mason tunnel -- thank you!  B

Date: 05/30/16 11:02
Author: Westbound

On those days I worked in the City, I never had the time to explore this fine railroad. You have taken some great photos and included the backgrounds that only grow in interest as years pass.

Date: 05/30/16 11:56
Author: jkkeck

I never realized the Belt Line traveled along North Point.  I always assumed the F Line followed its alignment down Jefferson. Very cool to see the trains at both portals beneath Fort Mason and the train working Crissy Field.  The shot beneath the Embarcadero Freeway is also interesting, but seeing these large unreinforced structures now makes me uncomfortable.

jk

Date: 05/30/16 13:26
Author: ATSF5964

This stuff is pure gold! Thanks for posting, Eric.

Date: 05/30/16 22:40
Author: TonyJ

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Date: 05/30/16 22:49

I don't remember any problems going onto the Army Base to pick up the flatcars.  Maybe someone was there to open the gate.  As for the above mentioned industry, the Belt used to pick up and deliver hopper cars to an industry on Francisco St. which had silos of some kind.  It accessed Francisco St via an S-shaped double curve (Mason St?) that connected with Northpoint St and ran past the Cost Plus Imports store.  I had the privilege to ride on this trackage once, on #23, but never got photos (got tape recordings though, which I still have).
- Eric Blasko

Date: 05/31/16 07:33
Author: TonyJ

AlcoRSD15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't remember any problems going onto the Army
> Base to pick up the flatcars.  Maybe someone was
> there to open the gate.  As for the above
> mentioned industry, the Belt used to pick up and
> deliver hopper cars to an industry on Francisco
> St. which had silos of some kind.  It accessed
> Francisco St via an S-shaped double curve (Mason
> St?) that connected with Northpoint St and ran
> past the Cost Plus Imports store.  I had the
> privilege to ride on this trackage once, on #23,
> but never got photos (got tape recordings though,
> which I still have).
> - Eric Blasko

Oh, how I also remember that "S" curve. For about a year I worked at Cost Plus Imports on Northpoint. Heading east the "mainline" switch for the curve actually routed the track to the left to gain room so it could then cross over the mainlne. Part of the curve litterally went through the edge of the corner sidewalk as it began the "S" curve. I never had a camera ready the few times I saw a SBL train use it. All I have are some shots of one of SP scale cars at the end of the spur.

Date: 05/31/16 11:00

Would love to see those shots of the scale cars. I've never seen any photos of that spot on Francisco St. or the S curve.
- Eric B.

Date: 06/01/16 02:30
Author: dwatry

Very cool photos - thanks for posting!   I wonder how my old Instamatic photos have fared after all these years?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0785 seconds