Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > Who Cares About Diesels?

Date: 05/30/16 17:30
Who Cares About Diesels?
Author: Auburn_Ed

Only shot a couple of this train.  I think it was between Denver and The Springs.  We were headed to Narrow Gauge Country and I couldn't waste expensive film on 'normal' trains. 1961 or 1962.

edit:  The more I look at this, I think it was further south, between Pueblo and Walsenburg.

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/16 17:31 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 05/30/16 19:35
Re: Who Cares About Diesels?
Author: TexBob

Ironic-the GP20's are long gone and steam narrow-gauge is still running

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 05/30/16 20:16
Author: NDHolmes

Pole line and geology looks wrong for any part of the Grande along the Front Range - looks more like something from between Eagle and Wolcott to me.

Regardless, it's good to see some of this older stuff, and yes, it's quite amazing that the GP20s are long dead, the line they're on may be long dead, and the narrow gauge trundles on.

Date: 05/30/16 22:11
Author: WSOR506

The 5625 is in service on the Alabama & Tennessee River Railroad...one of the Omnitrax properties.

Date: 05/31/16 04:39
Author: SPDRGWfan

The D&RGW reportedly weren't very impressed with and never bought GP20's wanting more HP to get unit reductions so they held out for GP30's.  Still a cool photo.  I think there are one or two photo's of those demonstrators on the west end of the system in the Rio Grande in Color book series.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 05/31/16 05:08
Author: ddg

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The D&RGW reportedly weren't very impressed with
> and never bought GP20's wanting more HP to get
> unit reductions so they held out for GP30's. 
>
They didn't miss much, We had them on the Santa Fe, and I think they were the worse four axle EMD's we ever had.

Date: 05/31/16 05:55
Author: Copy19

When the set rolled through Reno, NV on the Southern Pacific the first thing I noticed were the "chopped noses".  Holy Moly, that was a design change!
JB

Date: 05/31/16 11:52
Author: SPDRGWfan

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the set rolled through Reno, NV on the
> Southern Pacific the first thing I noticed were
> the "chopped noses".  Holy Moly, that was a
> design change!
> JB

The wave of the future.

IIRC, Strapac commented that D&RGW observed the WP trying to whip their GP20's into shape and that also played into their decision to opt out and wait for a better offering from EMD.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/22 07:07 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 05/31/16 16:47
Author: riogrande491

When she was GW 5625 she was often seen in Fort Collins North Yard, here in May of 2007 with a GP7 partner. At that time she was marked a GP 20-MQ, which a GW engineer and friend explained that it had an aftermarket limited-slip traction rebuild from Morrison-Knudsen. At least that's what I remember.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3037 seconds