Old photos Madison NJ Lackawanna Station
Author: amtrakbill

Beautiful styling ahead of it's time
This station is now protected as a national historical site  

Date: 06/28/16 05:37
Re: Old photos Madison NJ Lackawanna Station
Author: penncentral74

Marvelous images!  Thank you

In 1966, my family traveled to Manhattan and while we were there my Dad wanted to ride the EL suburban service.

As it was getting late, he chose to get off in Madison to allow a return to Hoboken.

Even at a young age, I was impressed by the neatness of the station and its architecture.

These were taken by my Dad with his Rolleiflex and Ektachrome.

Date: 06/28/16 05:38
Author: penncentral74

One more...

Date: 06/28/16 06:56
Author: Lackawanna484

Great pictures.  Looks like they may be from the Bonnell official photographer collection.

That first photo shows the express building, at the top of the cut block roadway.  Mr Thomas Taber had his personal library there for many years.  His books, negatives, research, interviews, etc.

The picture looking east shows two overhead bridges in the distance. prior to the track elevation in the early 1900s, the railroad skirted these hills, and dropped to ground level by the present station location. Union Hill was leveled, and a viaduct created. The old freight house, later the YMCA, remained at the original track level.

Date: 06/28/16 19:23
Author: MEKoch

Looks like a nice church.........

Date: 06/30/16 00:01
Author: mp51w

Beautiful gothic design!  And the platform cover compliments the station.  I bet that wasn't cheap at the time!

Date: 06/30/16 07:43
Author: Lackawanna484

The platform cover is a design the DL&W used in many suburban stations.  Bloomfield, South Orange, and terminal stations in Montclair and Hoboken, etc. The design, using two covers, allowed for a good escape of smoke from the steam engines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds