Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > Was this the first ever heritage engine?

Date: 06/27/16 19:44
Was this the first ever heritage engine?
Author: erielackawanna

A Metroliner shows up at Metropark in November of 1978 with the PRR restored GG1 leading substitute Amfleet cars.

My first bedroom as a newborn faced these tracks about a mile from this spot. (Yes, we had a railroad in our backyard, and no I don't remember it.) But there is a family theory that the sounds of the passing GG1s, MP54s, and P5s comforted newborn me and caused a lifelong fascination.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 19:53 by erielackawanna.

Date: 06/27/16 20:08
Re: Was this the first ever heritage engine?
Author: RuleG

Very nice photo.  Thanks for sharing.

The last car shown in this photo is different than the others.  Do you remember what kind of car it was?

Date: 06/27/16 20:13
Author: erielackawanna

I think it was probably a HEP car - old Amtrak car rebuilt to supply Head End Power to the Amfleet cars.

Date: 06/28/16 00:38
Author: garr

I always liked the GG1's even though the only time I saw a live one was in the Ivy terminal from a bus window as I and 50 other seniors from my high school traveled on the interstate on our senior trip.

I am not sure of the timeline, but the RF&P restored Geep my predate the GG1 restoration for dibs on the "first" heritage unit, however I am sure there are other units that could be classified as earlier heritage units that are lurking out there.

Jay

Date: 06/28/16 03:49
Author: march_hare

I remember the first mention of this repaint project, an op-Ed in Trains magazine, something like "wouldn't it be nice". Next thing I knew I was getting fundraising mail asking for a contribution. I think I sent them 10 bucks, maybe 5, but I was working a summer job at the time and the money counted. 

Best thing of all was getting to ride behind it a couple years later at the 1979 NRHS convention ( I had a job and actual money by then) and knowing that I'd contributed to the effort. 

Date: 06/28/16 11:15
Author: Cajon92

Great photo, Charles.

Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds