Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > Barclay Railroad, Locomotive 2 with Tender and Cars

Date: 06/28/16 08:35
Barclay Railroad, Locomotive 2 with Tender and Cars
Author: flynn

In an effort to try and use the Google photo recognition for person recognition I used a picture from the Eagle Valley District Library of Fletcher Homan, agent for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad at Wolcott, Colorado in 1920

Picture 1, Fletcher Homan. 

Date: 06/28/16 08:37
Re: Barclay Railroad, Locomotive 2 with Tender and Cars

I did not get an identification of the person but I got some interesting Visually Similar Images. 

Picture 2 is from the website,

https://mountainx.com/news/coming-round-the-mountain-rural-heritage-museum-opens-wnc-railroad-exhibit

Picture 2, “HAMMERS IN THE MOUNTAIN: Thousands of men, many of them convicts, blasted and bore their way through the Blue Ridge to bring the train to WNC. As industry moved on in the early 1900s, many families chose to follow the jobs west. Photo courtesy of Gerald Ledford.” 

Date: 06/28/16 08:40

Picture 3 and 4 are from the website,

http://www.monon.monon.org/bygone/cloverwallace.html

Picture 3, “Early 1900's, Bridge and Carpenter gang pose at Wallace Junction.  MRHTS Photo Archives.”

Date: 06/28/16 08:42

Picture 4, “Wallace Junction Rip Track and track gang. No date on photo.”

Date: 06/28/16 08:45

Picture 5 and 6 are from the website,

https://flic.kr/p/jXucRF 

Picture 5, “Barclay Railroad, Locomotive 2 with Tender and Cars. SMU Central University Library. Flickr the Commons. Creator: Unknown.  Date: 1895.  Part of: Everett L. DeGolyer Jr. collection of United States railroad photographs.  Place: Towanda, Pennsylvania.  Physical Description: 1 photographic print: 15 x 22 cm.  File: ag1982_0232_brr_00002_r_sm_opt.jpg.  Rights: Please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University when using this file.” 

Date: 06/28/16 08:47

Picture 6 is a portion of picture 5 enlarged.   

Date: 06/28/16 09:38
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks for sharing.
Picture No. 3 appears to be an inspection party or visitors, those are not work clothes or boots.
Picture 4 made me chuckle: the fellow on the left must have a gutiar at home and would have liked to have been photographed playing it.  Some things don't change much.

Date: 06/28/16 20:18
Author: rrman6

#4 photo shows the boxcar less its wheels and with markings that appear as CF&I.  Could that be for Coloado Fuel & Iron?  CF&I produced much rail and the plant is still producing under newer ownership.  I'm not sure where the "fuel" part comes from but I'd think coal and probably a railroad would more than likely be involved. 

Date: 06/29/16 05:05

Wikipedia has a webpage on the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Fuel_and_Iron

An excerpt from the webpage. 

“Through the process of vertical integration, the company came to own more than just the main steel plant. Over the course of a century, CF&I operated coal mines throughout southern Colorado, as well as iron mines in Wyoming and Utah, limestone quarries, smaller mines for other materials going into the steel making process, and the Colorado and Wyoming Railway.  In Redstone, Colorado, hundreds of coking ovens converted coal into coke.
The Colorado Supply company store was also owned and operated by CF&I. They also came to control many furnaces throughout the country including E.G. Brooke in Birdsboro, PA.” 
“The first, and only, until World War II, integrated iron and steel mill west of St. Louis was built in 1881 in Pueblo on the south side of the Arkansas River by the Colorado Coal and Iron Company (CC&L), an affiliate of the narrow-gauge Denver and Rio Grande Railway Company (D&RG), controlled by General William Jackson Palmer and Dr. William Abraham Bell. Its purpose, in part, was to manufacture rails for the railway.  Local resources included water from the Arkansas River, coal from Trinidad, limestone from a few miles south of Pueblo, and iron ore from the San Luis Valley with rail transportation provided by the D&RG. Manufacturing using blast furnaces and the Bessemer process began April 12, 1881. Products included rails, pig iron, iron and steel bars and plates, and cut nails and spikes.
The market for steel was slow due to intense competition from eastern mills, and the mill was often idle. The company turned to production of coke and coal opening additional mines near Trinidad and others near Canon City, Walsenburg, and Crested Butte. Coke ovens were built at El Moro north of Trinidad and at Crested Butte.
In the early 1890s demand for fuel fell and the company faced stiff competition from the Colorado Fuel Company, which was closely associated and provided coal to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q).  John C. Osgood, who with other investors from Iowa and Colorado, the Iowa Group, had founded Colorado Fuel Company in 1883 which acquired substantial coal reserves in Las Animas and Garfield Counties by purchasing existing facilities.  Other properties were acquired in Garfield, Huerfano, Las Animas, and Pitkin counties. On Osgood's initiative these two companies merged in 1892 to form Colorado Fuel and Iron with members of the Iowa Group in control.”    

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds