Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Nostalgia & History > If you owned a time machine...

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 06/28/16 09:30
If you owned a time machine...
Author: hogheaded

If you owned a time machine (hopefully with Bluetooth connectivity to ease installation), what RAILROAD place and time would you want to head for?

Me: Having a drink and shooting the breeze with the C&S telegrapher on the bench in front of his office near Alpine Tunnel, waiting for the mixed trains to come in from Como and Gunnison, on just about any fair weather day. Then, doing same with the crews at the boarding house.

EO

Date: 06/28/16 09:44
Re: If you owned a time machine...
Author: FT

So many choices it would be hard to pick. Getting any electrics leading on Eagles Nest Tunnel on the Milwaukee. I was almost there in 1968, but two trains beat me. Other would be getting just delivered Cotton Belt FT's in the gray and yellow paint.

Keith A (ft)

Date: 06/28/16 09:48
Author: NKP715

Post WWII era, circa 1946 - 1947.  Modern steam plus early diesels.
Where ?  Give me a month or two to travel in that time frame, and I'll report back.
Starting point:  Pennsy west slope out of Altoona.

Just have to figure out how to explain digital photography to the folks back then.

Date: 06/28/16 09:56
Author: MtVernon_Tower

Would love to go back to 1963-67 at Oroville, Ca. and see the Oro Dam Railroad. Hopefully with a camera.

Adam 

Date: 06/28/16 10:06
Author: drumwrencher

Bayshore, Oct 25, 1982. I should have been standing next to my father on that turntable.  Tim Mooney called this pic "Fred Boland - oldest guy working".

If bluetooth won't get me there, maybe the "next big thing" will! :)

Walter​

Date: 06/28/16 10:27
Author: santafe199

No-brainer: KCT trackage at Kansas City Union Station circa 1952...

Lance/199

Date: 06/28/16 10:33
Author: exhaustED

Destination would be Cajon and Tehachapi in 1985. Also if possible a look at Pipestone Pass on the Milwaukee road in 1970.

Also, don't forget that the 2nd law of thermodynamics prohibits time travel... Geek-out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/16 10:55 by exhaustED.

Date: 06/28/16 10:40
Author: sanjac-tim

Sullivan's Curve in Cajon Pass during the steam era

Posted from Android

Date: 06/28/16 10:53
Author: sphauler

San Luis Obispo, Ca 1952/53 and a High Definition video camera with 1 terabyte storage.  

sphauler

Date: 06/28/16 10:55
Author: rbx551985

Rock Island ... during the last few years.  And then -- in the aftermath when the fleets of equipment began to roll out to new owners....

Date: 06/28/16 11:01
Author: tomstp

From 1942-1945 on the T&P between Texarkana, Tx and Longview Tx. On single track around 40-45 trains a day.

Date: 06/28/16 11:10
Author: Pattenburg

NJT's Raritan Valley Line west of Raritan (NJ) when the CNJ used to run over those tracks. I still recall as a kid seeing the CNJ freights and Budd cars and not taking a photo of them with my instamatic camera. As a kid the thought was "Ahhh... they will always be around later!" Guess that presumption was wrong, eh. The attached image is of a eastbound freight passing by White House Station.

Date: 06/28/16 11:44
Author: patd3985

Getting to go down to the Albina roundhouse with my dad in the early 50's and climbing around on steam locomotives. And sometimes getting a cab ride from Hood River to Portland with dad on a U.P. 2-10-2. I still vividly remember those early days of my youth!

Date: 06/28/16 11:49
Author: holiwood

Roanoke, Va  1950

Date: 06/28/16 12:11
Author: dmaffei

1) Post war Dunsmuir CA. 1955- 1957 to watch the the end of steam and first gen. diesels coming in.
2) Dunsmuir October November 1907.

Date: 06/28/16 12:17
Author: d500

Boarding the Super Chief, circa 1937-57 after staying at the Alvarado (or any Harvey House for that matter). Then experience the ensuing on-board Santa Fe/Fred Harvey amenities.

Date: 06/28/16 12:20
Author: spicolli1864

Central California in the mid 20s..Sierra, Pickering and Westside railroads. this was the boom years for the area with several Dams being raised....Of course with digital Photographic equipment,batteries,laptop and a couple of drones..If i had time hit some of the smaller logging railroads in California...Hell what am i saying, I have a time machine I have all the time in the world 

Date: 06/28/16 12:27
Author: pal77

On a serious note, just six hours save few lives down in TX.

Play along the EL Delaware division between Port Jervis and Binghamton NY say '68-71. 

Date: 06/28/16 12:36
Author: Labby

In the cab with my Mom and Dad and Sister. Mom running the engine with the engineer by her side. Dad,who was the brakeman, shoveling the coal, with my sister and me sitting on the left side watching the front of the engine hunting its way down the track. We were on top of the World!

Date: 06/28/16 12:52
Author: stanhunter

I'd like to spend 24 hours in the Norden telegraph office at the summit of Donner Pass in December 1944, with cab-aheads, rotaries, steamliners and lots of wartime freight and passenger traffic.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds