Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > How would you like to stand here?

Date: 07/23/16 17:44
How would you like to stand here?
Author: Ray_Murphy

This is a Library of Congress Detroit Publishing Company photograph of the Michigan Central Cantilever bridge over the Niagara River. Behind it is the Grand Trunk Railway's Whirlpool Rapids bridge. The photograph does not have a precise date: the LOC indicates it was made between 1905 and 1920 (Picture #1).

While looking at a hi-res version of the picture, I noticed a railway worker standing on one of the boxcars (Pictures #2, #3). I guess this was all planned for the photographer, but how would you like to stand on a car top 200' up?

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/16 17:44 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 07/23/16 18:35
Re: How would you like to stand here?
Author: wpdude

In the year 1900, it is said over 4000 trainmen lost their lives. Riding where he is was normal! Poor bastards!!

Date: 07/23/16 22:04
Author: MojaveBill

Brakemen were riding cars into the '50s - I knew some of them here. They turned down air brake retainers and carried brakemen's clubs, like one in an umbrella stand outside my home office. I imagaine that went away with diesels and dynamic brakes. Everyone in town had one or more of the clubs stuck in the slots in the back of their pickups...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/24/16 06:06
Author: aehouse

The photo was taken along the right of way of the "Great Gorge Route" trolley line.  As a college student at nearby Niagara University in the late 1960s, I hiked the long abandoned right-of-way of the line, which was a bit of a challenge as a lot of it had eroded into the river by that time.

Art House

Date: 07/24/16 08:48
Author: RNP47

Uhhh...
its ok...
he is still over land...
JUST KIDDING! Yikes!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0286 seconds