Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Couple of Roger Puta's Amtrak Shots

Date: 07/24/16 20:56
A Couple of Roger Puta's Amtrak Shots
Author: MartyBernard

Roger took both photos in April 1983.  Must be the SW Chief.

Please comment if you recognized the locations.

The first one was really a pleasant surprise coming off the scanner this morning.  As you can tell, Roger had a few very good "long" lenses.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 21:22 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/24/16 21:44
Re: A Couple of Roger Puta's Amtrak Shots
Author: spjim

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger took both photos in April 1983.  Must be
> the SW Chief.

The ex-Santa Fe Hi-Level lounge in the consist makes the train in the first photo look like the Coast Starlight.

J. Lancaster

Date: 07/24/16 22:25
Author: BoilingMan

I agree the 1st photo is the SW Limited (it hadn't gotten the Chief name back yet). 
In those days the ATSF lounge cars were liable to show up anywhere.    I worked them (as LSA) on 3-4 and 1-2.  I saw them, but (thank god) never worked them on 11-14.  I also have a few photos of them on 5-6.
SR

I think the 2nd shot is of the Zephyr

Date: 07/24/16 23:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

These are both of the westbound Southwest Limited, Train 3, at Marmon, NM (Mesita on the roadmap).  Check the exposure numbers on the slide frames - if these are the same train, he took the broadside first against the foot of the mesa and then the going-away shot from about the same spot.  This view shows you the mesa, with the hillside in the background of the first shot off to the left: 

https://goo.gl/maps/pcEv5Ub93462

Date: 07/24/16 23:26
Author: BoilingMan

Ah!
It IS the same train, isn't it- the second photo is difficult to make out the details on my phone.
Kinda looks like the off season, just 2 coaches & 2 sleepers. If I recall, we had more coaches in the summer, but 2 sleepers year 'round.
SR

Date: 07/25/16 02:59
Author: RodneyZona

Old Santa Fe Railway conductors and head brakies on the SW Limited in both shots taken in April, 1983, were based out of Albuquerque, NM and the train baggagemen and the tail end brakies were based out of Winslow, AZ all worked between Winslow and Albuquerque. Galup, NM based engine crews worked between Gallup and Albuquerque.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/16 03:12 by RodneyZona.

Date: 07/25/16 05:04
Author: SPDRGWfan

It looks not terribly different to a west of Grand Junction California Zephyr although I don't recognize the country side as D&RGW so yes, not the CZ. 

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 07/25/16 17:04
Author: davew833

I never understood why Amtrak didn't match the height and profile of the El Capitan cars when it ordered Superliners. It sure made for a jumbled- up looking train to have them both in the same consist.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds