Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Nostalgia & History > Shasta Daylight

Date: 07/27/16 00:36
Shasta Daylight
Author: Ardenwood

Today I dug up a postcard of a train I rode from Portland, Oregon to Martinez, California before changing to an Owl to UCLA.  For a student used to black steam engines in Japan, this looked different .

Date: 07/27/16 06:09
Re: Shasta Daylight
Author: ShastaDaylight

Ardenwood,

Thanks for sharing this classic SP postcard! The very first piece of railroad "memorabilia" I ever owned was this same postcard which my parents bought for me at the Oakland Pier long, long ago. I got my first Hershey chocolate bar at the same time - it is amazing what a child remembers... Note the E-7 roof radiators on the hastily redrawn ALCO PA's, no windows on the coaches showing (which always puzzled me as a child), and the fact you are looking southwest at Mt Shasta since Shastina is on the right side of the main peak. It was this postcard that made Mt Shasta, the Shasta Daylight, and Daylight PA's my favorites - a love affair that has stood the test of time!

Thanks again for sharing!

ShastaDaylight

Date: 07/27/16 08:34
Author: Auburn_Ed

Date: 07/27/16 09:23
Author: sphogger

Does John Signor's mural still exist in the bank building whoever occupies it now?

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,134880,134911#msg-134911

sphogger

Date: 07/27/16 23:56
Author: aaronhanson

Well, it ain't Howard Fogg but it's still awesome!  As one of the posters says, you tend to notice the lack of windows on the coaches and the odd-looking roof of the Alco.  I'm surprised no one has made mention of the three brown bears to the right of the train - that was a nice touch that I almost missed!  Thank you for sharing. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds