Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Cardinal Comparison

Date: 07/27/16 14:01
A Cardinal Comparison
Author: bandob

Remembering the good old days, compared to the current decade.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 11:50 by bandob.

Date: 07/27/16 15:33
Re: A Cardinal Comparison
Author: AndyBrown

Yes that's quite a comparison!  I didn't realize the train ran that big during the Superliner era.

Andy

Date: 07/27/16 19:37
Author: gbmott

Now for a REAL comparison, try C&O #5 The Sportsman that left Washington at 11.45am and, via a connection to the NYC in Cincinnati, arrived Chicago just after 12 noon, so essentially the same schedule as today.

Gordon

Charlottesville 1937, Bruce Fales photo, Louis Marre collection

Date: 07/27/16 19:43
Author: knotch8

The Superliner train is a nicer train, but it doesn't show as much coach capacity.  The Superliner train looks like it has a baggage car, transition/dorm, 2 sleepers, diner, sightseer lounge and 2 coaches.  The single-level train has 3 Amfleet-II coaches, a lounge and a sleeper.  

There's much, much more sleeper capacity on the Superliner train but there's not as much coach capacity.  2 Superliner coaches have 140 seats, I think, while 3 Amfleet-II coaches have 177 seats.  Also, I think I've seen that the Cardinal is operating with 2 Viewliner sleepers recently, as well as with a baggage car.  And, also, the Viewliner train provides a 1-seat ride to stations north of Washington to Philadelphia and New York, while the Superliner train required a transfer at Washington.

But that Sightseer lounge would sure be nice on that scenic ride.

Date: 07/27/16 23:26
Author: mp51w

Here's the early 80's version of the Cardinal at Peru, IN.

Date: 07/28/16 03:43
Author: DavidP

Bill, how recent is your single-level train picture?  I though the Card now carries a baggage car and second sleeper during the summer.

Dave

Date: 07/28/16 04:41
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!  Shot No. 5;  Taken at Peru, IN where the old C&O Railway operating crews were based and worked to and from Cincinnati and to and from  Chicago.  Their private vehicles can be seen on the right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 05:44 by RodneyZona.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds