Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Farming Capital of the California is..

Date: 07/28/16 02:33
The Farming Capital of the California is..
Author: Railfan4Christ

Corcoran, CA, or so the sign says next to CA Hwy 43 just on the north side of town. At MP 951 on Santa Fe's (now BNSF) Bakersfield Subdivision, it was the closest location to visit the Santa Fe mainline and witness the parade of 70 mph intermodal trains, merchandise and grain trains, and of course the locals and road switchers which would drop off and pick up numerous covered hoppers. Throw in a few Amtrak San Joaquin's and you had a full day of train watching here. Here are three photos that I took.

1. 5141 is setting out some covered hoppers on the morning of May 8, 1992.
2. Later that same afternoon, 2873 is leading the Corcoran Turn as it moves through the many covered hoppers that carry off the produce of the local fields to market.
3. 5131 is southbound (east) at 70 mph with a hot intermodal train (971?) on August 11, 1989.

Thanks for looking back with me,

Tom

Date: 07/28/16 02:59
Re: The Farming Capital of the California is..
Author: EricSP

The covered hoppers were probably bringing in grains (for animal feed) or fertilizer.

Date: 07/28/16 06:57
Author: icancmp193

And here I thought it was Humboldt County! :-)

Tom Y

Date: 07/28/16 07:20
Author: Cajon92

Great photos, Tom.

Ryan

Date: 07/28/16 07:49
Author: Auburn_Ed

Are not there some (in)famous residents of Corcoran?  Charles Manson?  Juan Carona?

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/16 07:52 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 07/28/16 09:35
Author: BobP

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And here I thought it was Humboldt County! :-)
>
In farming income, yes. Come November we will see if this remains true.
> Tom Y

Date: 07/28/16 10:15
Author: miralomarail

EricSP Wrote:
> The covered hoppers were probably bringing in
> grains (for animal feed) or fertilizer.

Santa Fe at One time had refrigerated Covered Hoppers, painted Orange ,   Known as  "  Santa Fe GA-178 Conditionaire  ATSF  # 101413 "

Date: 07/28/16 13:39
Author: colehour

Auburn_Ed Wrote:
> Are not there some (in)famous residents of
> Corcoran?  Charles Manson?  Juan Carona?
>
> Ed

Charlie is at Corcoran, having once been in Vacaville. Corona is there as well. Corcoran is served byAmtrak, in case you want to visit either or both. 

Date: 07/28/16 21:47
Author: coach

That last photo says it all about Santa Fe in California's San Joaquin Valley:  flat, fast and fantastic!  The last time I was in Corcoran was a few years ago--went from the SF Bay Area's foggy coolness of 50-60 degrees, and got ROASTED in Corcoran, which was 107 degrees that day!  I got fried, but the evenings were nice as the stifling heat relaxed and abated...

Date: 07/29/16 14:34
Author: DNRY122

I recall reading about former record producer Phil Spector spending some time in the Corcoran facility, but latest reports show him at California Health Care Facility, California State Prison (Stockton, California).  I don't think this is anywhere near the BNSF tracks, so we probably can't wave to him as we go by on a San Joaquin train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds