Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O heavyweight work car at Akron -- Dec 78

Date: 07/28/16 11:56
B&O heavyweight work car at Akron -- Dec 78
Author: gcm

(1-2)  In Akron,Ohio I ran across this old (looks like retired) heavyweight car.
     I believe that is the AC&Y crossing over the B&O.

Date: 07/28/16 11:56
Re: B&O heavyweight work car at Akron -- Dec 78
Author: gcm

(3-5)  I don't know what the car was originally.
         The small windows at each end with the rounded top were probably at the restrooms and had stained glass at one time.
The rounded top of these windows makes me think this was a very old car - maybe in the early years of steel car production.
I thought I had more inside shots but can anybody tell what this car might have been?

Date: 07/28/16 12:41
Author: ClubCar

It's hard to tell from looking at it although it could have been a standard coach or a parlor car.  Very hard to tell from those photos.

Date: 07/28/16 17:09
Author: px320

The single row of rivits along the side sill suggests the car was built prior to 1917. That was about the year Pullman changed the side sill configuration and used a double row of rivits

Date: 07/29/16 00:17
Author: mp51w

Imagine if that car could talk!  Vestibules at both ends!  Interesting truck design too!
That remnant of wall was either a bathroom or a drawing room.  20/1 sleeper?

Date: 07/30/16 04:31
Author: Rainier_Rails

The #X4498 seen here was ex-Class A-16 80 seat coach #4520, and it was built by American Car & Foundry (AC&F); no info on when it was built, or in what Lot.  The partition whose remains are seen in picture #5 separated the main seating area from the smoking area; no info on how many of the total of 80 seats were located in the smoking area as compared to the main seating area.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds