Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > WW 1 - War Trophies Train

Date: 08/26/16 08:30
WW 1 - War Trophies Train
Author: asheldrake

Looking for a source of information about this train that supposely toured the country.   Any info appreciated.    Arlen  

Date: 08/26/16 09:25
Re: WW 1 - War Trophies Train
Author: Lackawanna484

The Merci train was a French gift to the United States after the Great War, with a car for each state of the union.

More info:  Merci, beaucoup

Date: 08/26/16 09:43
Author: monaddave

The Montana car is at Fort Harrison, MT, west of Helena, MT...

http://mercitrain.org/Montana/

Heck, that link should get you all the other cars.
Dave in Msla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 09:45 by monaddave.

Date: 08/26/16 11:39
Author: Bob3985

The Wyoming car is at the Cheyenne American Legion on east Lincolnway. They have kept it in very good condition.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/26/16 13:06
Author: RichM

There is what appears to be a French 40/8 freight-car/wagon on an old warehouse spur in Richmond, Virginia at Shockoe Bottom that I've always assumed was the Virginia car. I'll gratefully accept corrections!

Date: 08/26/16 13:09
Author: BobP

WW II had similar.
Crossing Hly Blvd and Highland.
Prep at Sherman yard.

Edit:
With a little more research this is WW II. I think my pics was the start of it.
See http://www.mercitrain.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 13:20 by BobP.

Date: 08/26/16 13:45
Author: MartyBernard

Arlen, North Carolina's Gratitude Train Car at in the North Carolina Transportation Museum roundhouse in Spencer, NC.  Check out the wheel chuck.

I'm not sure you are asking about these train cars though.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 13:49 by MartyBernard.

Date: 08/26/16 13:56
Author: Woodman

The New Mexico car used to be kept at the State Fair Grounds in ABQ.  I don't know if it is still there or not.  I have not been there in years.

Date: 08/26/16 15:33
Author: nycman

I think Arlen is inquiring about a different train from the Merci 40 et 8 cars.  This one had armament "souvenirs" and equipment from the war.
Did the 40 et 8 cars actually arrive as a train, or separately?  I don't know.

Date: 08/26/16 19:39
Author: Evan_Werkema

Woodman Wrote:

> The New Mexico car used to be kept at the State
> Fair Grounds in ABQ.  I don't know if it is still
> there or not.  I have not been there in years.

The New Mexico car is actually a replica.  The state's original Merci boxcar wound up on ground as a storage shed at the fair grounds in Albuquerque.  In 1981, someone finally went looking and found what was left of the car, but unfortunately it was too far gone to restore and the undercarriage was missing.  A similar 40-and-8 car was located in France, imported, and decorated as a replacement.

Date: 08/26/16 19:55
Author: asheldrake

many thanks for the post WW II Merci Train information.....and yes, I believe it really wasn't a train but delivery of the individual box cars to each state....and yes, this was post second world war.....I am looking for inforamtion on the World War 1 Trophy Train.....like in 1918.    Arlen

Date: 08/27/16 00:17
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for the original post (question) and for the clarification.  This thread has provided some amazing links back to both WWI and WWII history of the common man, both soldier and civilian, who endured the hardships of the direct conflict and those who reached out in humanitarian ways to help those they could.  Railroads were the link and the way support and thanks could be provided.  I have seen several of the Merci Train State Box Cars over the years ... thank you for helping to put those separate "sightings" into a broader perspective ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 08/27/16 04:21
Author: monogram

We have the Arizona car fully restored at the Mc Cormick Stillman  Railroad Park in Scottsdale Az.

Date: 08/27/16 14:58
Author: usmc1401

The California car is in Fresno. Near a SP switcher in a park.

Date: 08/28/16 02:04
Author: BaltoJoey

The Maryland car is at the B & O Museum in Baltimore, MD.

Date: 08/28/16 08:42
Author: TexasEagle77

The Texas Car is at the American Legion in Austin, Texas. All the various gifts and contents of the car are on display
at the Texas Memorial Museum on the campus of the The University of Texas at Austin.

Ricky

Date: 09/19/16 19:35
Author: WOPRJim

There is one of these 40/8 cars on display at North Bend, Oregon.
Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds