Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Nostalgia & History > Bonner Springs in two seasons

Date: 09/23/16 12:10
Bonner Springs in two seasons
Author: cewherry

Union Pacific's Bonner Springs, Kansas depot sat on the banks of the Kansas River at mile post 17.5 on the First Subdivision of the Kansas Division.
​At least the aforementioned facts were true as of November 20, 1983 as shown in UP's system timetable #8, effective that date. Today about the
​only fact that remains is that Bonner Springs remains on the banks of the Kansas River. According to Google Maps there is a new depot in town
​but I doubt that it occupies the same spot as in my first picture taken in the summer of 1968. Life was different then. I could have walked over to
​the clothing store to pick up a new pair of Lee bib overalls; hickory stripped of course and probably a Kromer cap or two. Today the only
​place to buy Lee's is on eBay. Better fill up the car at that red pump before heading back to the base at Grandview.

When I was told that I was being discharged from my Air Force duties in December I made another trip to the depot in November. The day was getting blustery
​and a lot of the leaves had fallen. I heard an eastbound approaching. These U-50's have the manifest well in hand doing a nice 40MPH plus on the last lap into home.
​Sure would be nice to go back and repeat these times.

Charlie

Date: 09/23/16 12:19
Re: Bonner Springs in two seasons
Author: santafe199

I can remember the U-50s as a kid in the 60s. But that handsome depot was long gone before my first photo safari thru the area. Thanks for a great look back!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/23/16 12:45
Author: imrl

Wonderful pictures!  By the look of them, it appears the old depot sat about where Moon Marble Company is which would put it about 1/4 mile or so east of where the current building stands. Today, 2 main tracks still exist, but the center siding is gone. It is now fully 2 main track CTC. It is now currently on what is called the Kansas Subdivision. 

Date: 09/23/16 12:45
Author: wag216

The present "depot" is where the old Kaw Valley scale was. wag216

Date: 09/23/16 17:10
Author: cewherry

wag216 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The present "depot" is where the old Kaw Valley
> scale was. wag216

​The few industries in town as shown on Google; are they former KCKV or Santa Fe and where did the Santa Fe cross the river?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0519481,-94.8858011,1123m/data=!3m1!1e3

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 17:14 by cewherry.

Date: 09/23/16 22:24
Author: mp51w

If there was still passenger train service on the UP Kansas subdivision, this would be a good suburban stop for Kansas City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 22:24 by mp51w.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds