Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Amtrak's Rohr Turbo across the Santa Fe

Date: 09/27/16 16:02
Amtrak's Rohr Turbo across the Santa Fe
Author: santafe199

Just before Christmas of 1976 one of the new Amtrak Rohr Turboliner trainsets made its way back east from the FRA test track at Pueblo, CO. It ran over the Santa Fe and was seen here in Newton, KS. Future TO member Tony Fey (‘mopacrr’) was spending time back home in Newton. It was his ‘home for the holidays’ vacation time from train service for the Missouri Pacific in Osawatomie, KS. He & a handful of observers were on hand to see the train stopped on the Santa Fe passenger platform in Newton. Tony came equipped with camera & tripod, and here are his results:

1. & 2. Amtrak 163, a Rohr Turboliner pauses in Newton, KS on its way back east. Among those in attendance are Santa Fe Middle Division train dispatcher & railfan Ron C. Coppock and long time Santa Fe employee & noted railroad historian and prolific author (the late) Lloyd E. Stagner.
(2 photos taken in Newton, KS on December 23, 1976 by Tony Fey)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Tony Fey (mopacrr)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/22 21:28 by santafe199.

Date: 09/27/16 18:28
Re: Amtrak's Rohr Turbo across the Santa Fe
Author: 8notch

Looks like cyclops (with only 1 headlight unless I'm missing something)

Date: 09/27/16 20:22
Author: bnsfsd70

Nice shots.  I like the old heavyweights on the left side of #2.  Shows a nice contrast between the old and the new.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 09/27/16 23:19
Author: mp51w

Now those are some unique shots!  It looks like a real train station with platform covers and waste paper garbage cans.

Date: 09/29/16 15:53
Author: NiceHandTick

I remember being called from the Extra Board to protect the movement from Newton west to Dodge City.  I remember being in the coaches with Road Foreman Chainsaw Garrison.

Date: 09/29/16 18:04
Author: KskidinTx

Why wasn't Charley riding in the locomotive cab instead of in the coaches?

Date: 04/16/19 16:59
Author: Englewood

KskidinTx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why wasn't Charley riding in the locomotive cab
> instead of in the coaches?

I assume the ATSF was like most other railroads at the time.
The RFE was responsible for anything the head end crew did while he was on the train.
Might as well be on the head end because if the crew gets fired so will you - without the need
of a formal investigation.

Date: 04/16/19 17:28
Author: mundo

Story that I got from the SFE  Coast Lines General Road Forman, they were gutless on the  grades, between San Diego and  Barstow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds