Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Nostalgia & History > F3 Warbonnet for Wednesday

Date: 09/28/16 10:58
F3 Warbonnet for Wednesday
Author: cewherry

Santa Fe engine #29 (can't tell if it's L or C), basks in the early morning sunlight at Santa Fe's Richmond, California roundhouse.
Her consist will take train #2, the San Francisco Chief from Richmond later that day.
Built in 1948, the F3 looks none the worse for wear in this 1966 photo, 18 years after leaving her birthplace at La Grange, Illinois.

Charlie

Date: 09/28/16 11:01
Re: F3 Warbonnet for Wednesday
Author: GRNDMND

Great shot Charlie. On my monitor it really appears to be an "L" down there above the anticlimber. And didn't the "C" loco's actually display a "C" behind the number in the number boards? All of my shots of them have a "C" in the numberboards, but maybe not earlier on.

KC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/16 11:12 by GRNDMND.

Date: 09/28/16 11:51

GRNDMND Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot Charlie. On my monitor it really
> appears to be an "L" down there above the
> anticlimber. And didn't the "C" loco's actually
> display a "C" behind the number in the number
> boards? All of my shots of them have a "C" in the
> numberboards, but maybe not earlier on.
>
> KC

​Thanks Kevin. I had forgotten, or was maybe just too lazy to look up this exchange from way back:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,819194,819646#msg-819646

​If I remember, Topper's, Evan's and Bob's comments concluded that 'L' units didn't have the 'L' in the number boards but the 'C's' did.....with the noted exceptions.
​I miss Toppers postings here. He's retired now.

Charlie

Date: 09/28/16 23:37
Author: Evan_Werkema

Looks like they have an Alco switcher up on blocks in the shed to the right getting a truck exchanged.

Date: 09/29/16 09:43
Author: valmont

Don't know if this helps or not as I took this shot on march 15, 1970 @ Argentine, the zoom of the nose shoes the 'L' that GRNDMND mentioned

Date: 09/29/16 11:31

Sure appears that 29L has slipped a bit in the 4 years since '66. Was it bumped into freight service by then?

Charlie

Date: 09/29/16 12:04
Author: Evan_Werkema

cewherry Wrote:

> Sure appears that 29L has slipped a bit in the 4
> years since '66. Was it bumped into freight
> service by then?

The unit has its stacks capped in the Argentine shot, so it's probably in storage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds