Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Conrail and the East Slope

Date: 09/28/16 11:17
Conrail and the East Slope
Author: casavoye

T.O. Member Zephyr was on a business trip in Pittsburgh last week and told me he made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at Horseshoe curve !  Funny how that happens to so many of us!  After watching his video text of the timeless assault of the Allegany’s by an NS stack train, I really started feeling nostalgic for the visits I made to Conrail’s East Slope between Altoona and Gallitzin Pa.  Fall in the Alleghenies is special. After a hot and humid summer, the cold northern air spills over the Allegheny ridgelines and fills the valleys with frost usually in early October. The sudden freeze helps turn the forests to vibrant red and gold. Sitting at Horseshoe curve on a cool Autumn morning amid natures colorful display just heightens the anticipation of seeing the railroad do what it has done for over a 100 years. For those who haven’t been there, its one of spots every person who loves railroading should see.

During the early 80’s most if not all the former Pennsy between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh was controlled by block operators, under the direction of the Train Dispatcher. As Conrail rationalized its physical plant to match volume levels, the line was reduced to double track CTC with 3 tracks at key operational pinch points. While most of the towers were closed, the lone exception was “Alto” located just west of the Amtrak station in Altoona, which survived until June of 2012. Alto was the beacon of communication for all movements along the east slope. Sitting at the curve the scanner would crack “Conrail Alto”.  While you couldn’t always hear the trains talking, the next response from the Tower operator would often be “ pick up you helpers west of Alto”.  During the westbound fleet of TV trains ( short for Trail Van ) the operator seemed to be on continuous calls throughout the morning with 12-18 westbound movements from 0800 – 11:00  During the 80’s, the counts were generally in the 50 trains per day range, but helper moves up and down the Hill, would often add another 20 plus.  Once the trains got their helpers you could hear those EMD’s working the grade for 15 minutes before they made their appearance on the "Curve".

The memories are rich and colorful. It was and remains a special place for me.

Photo 1: Mail 9 at Benny just east of Gallitzin Tunnel. Often the Helpers would be added to the head end of the Mail Trains which happened on this day in the summer of 1983
Photo 2: CAPI was one of the first westbound’s in the Morning.  Its origin was Camden NJ with a pickup of Auto Parts from Budd Co. in Philadelphia. Here is a shot at MG tower ( for Mid Grade ) which is a few miles west of Horseshoe Curve. Speeds for most trains on the grade were no more than 10 – 15 MPH on the assent
Photo 3: TV1 was one of the first trains on the Hill in the morning. Originating early in the evening from Morrisville PA ( Trenton ) the train was often on the hill by 0800 the next morning.

Continued....  

Date: 09/28/16 11:19
Re: Conrail and the East Slope
Author: casavoye

Photo 4: CAPI enters Horseshoe Curve in early Oct as the leave are just starting to turn
Photo 5: CAPI helpers shoving hard through the curve. These units were from Erie SD45’s with the oversized fuel tanks
Photo 6: Dawn on the curve. As the sun peaks over Brush Mtn and onto the Kittanning Reservoir, an empty hopper train makes the first appearance of the day at Horseshoe.  

Hope you enjoy the memories with me. Thanks for looking

Date: 09/28/16 12:45
Author: refarkas

Great images.Your last one looks like it could have come from National Geographic.
Bob

Date: 09/28/16 12:54
Author: P

THose are outstanding shots. 

Best place in the east to watch trains in my opinion. 

Date: 09/28/16 13:46
Author: sig292

Very Nice, it's great to see those wonderful Conrail shots!
Ken Gear

Date: 09/28/16 14:08
Author: globalethanol

an empty UMP with PEPCO cars

twl

casavoye Wrote:
> Photo 6: Dawn on the curve. As the sun peaks over
> Brush Mtn and onto the Kittanning Reservoir, an
> empty hopper train makes the first appearance of
> the day at Horseshoe

Date: 09/28/16 15:29
Author: SP8595

Awesome! Great timing to get the Conrail trailer passing the train in the first shot!

Your second and sixth shot ROCK!

Date: 09/28/16 15:47
Author: King_Coal

Nice narrative. And photos to back it up. Thanks for posting.

I can still remember my first trip to the curve in the early '70's. The magic moment was watching 2 E8s pull Amtrak's National Limited up at twilight. Didn't have a camera that could capture that, but would it have been as memorable if I was staring through a viewfinder? Don't think so.

Date: 09/29/16 05:55
Author: WLE2679

Nice shots.  I remember those 1980's and 1990's days when it was Conrail very well.   Now NS is usually not real busy in the morning and the intermodal westbound fleet starts around 1pm on on into the evening. 

Date: 09/29/16 11:09
Author: bluesboyst

Awesome......shots....

Date: 09/29/16 21:06
Author: Zephyr

Excellent narrative and photos Chip!  Wish I could have stayed for a couple of days to enjoy what you enjoyed when you took your pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Date: 09/30/16 17:10
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

Date: 10/01/16 04:53
Author: bigkidpgh

Superb shots and great memories. I can see why this day would remain ever special to you. Moments like this in life are so fleeting - but you managed to capture not only the image but also its essence. Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds