Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > early SCL - while SAL paint lived

Date: 10/21/16 16:22
early SCL - while SAL paint lived
Author: FT

I didn't have long to get the SAL colors in action. Black paint flowed quickly after the merger.

First two are by me, last not marked, but might be Warren Calloway.
1219 leads a S/B just north of the yards at Hialeah. 3/16/69
1543 at the service bay Wildwood, FL 1/24/70  ( The night shop force came out when I took a few flash shots, thinking a traction motor had arced over. They just thought it was nice we were interested in thier railroad!)
1534 unknown location, I would guess in the Carolina's 7/68

All I can do is echo photobob's feelings on today's fanning.

Keith A (ft)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 20:05 by FT.

Date: 10/21/16 17:01
Re: early SCL - while SAL paint lived
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these. I saw only a handful of pre-black SCL units.
Bob

Date: 10/21/16 17:03
Author: CPR_4000

SCL sure did do a nice clean patch job. Was it common to see solid sets of ex-SAL's like that?

Date: 10/21/16 17:06
Author: FT

Yes, the first year or so they seemed to keep units on their former roads. Most important for the ALCO's for parts and famialiarty.

Date: 10/21/16 17:31
Author: ironmtn

Three terrific images. Like those Alcos, but the third one is just jaw dropping. Thanks much!

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 10/21/16 19:25
Author: YukonYeti

Really great stuff!

YY

Date: 10/21/16 19:34
Author: PasadenaSub

A great set of photos from a short-lived time on the SCL.

Rich

Date: 10/22/16 03:14
Author: kgmontreal

That first shot is a beauty.

KG

Date: 10/22/16 06:24
Author: CPR_4000

When I was 15 or 16 I went to visit my uncle in Titusville, FL. Took the Metroliner to DC, Silver Meteor to Jax, Greyhound the rest of the way. Bought my tickets at the SCL office in Manhattan and they helped me arrange liability releases for Ivy City and various SCL yards in the Jacksonville area. An obviously unamused SCL special agent was assigned to chauffeur me around; I remember we went to Moncreif and I think Baldwin, maybe another yard? Saw quite a few patched SAL units like these. Unfortunately in my excitement I set the light meter wrong and ended up underexposing everything by maybe two stops. I discovered my mistake when I got to Uncle Al's and so the only decent shots I got on that trip were of a northbound FEC freight behind 3 F units. Not a bad consolation prize, in retrospect.

Date: 10/22/16 08:24
Author: ctillnc

SAL's final "Jolly Green Giant" paint scheme is a favorite. Too bad that the 1970s, 80s, and 90s were mostly black or grey on SCL/FL/SBD.

Date: 10/22/16 16:19
Author: knotch8

All nice, but Photo 3 is a winner.  Single-track, curves, superelevation, no doubt it's ex-SAL.  Very nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0659 seconds