Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Fan ALERT !

Date: 10/21/16 19:26
SP Fan ALERT !
Author: MartyBernard

I have begun scanning a Logan Box of Roger Puta's slides.  ALL SP SLIDES.  Looks like well over 1000 slides from the 1980s.  Most have no writing on them so I'll be asking you for caption assistance.  At minimum I'm looking for location.  Other information would be great.  The dates I give are what the Kodak stamped on the slide mount.

You are going to see hundreds and hundreds of photos of SP diesels and trains, so make sure you heart medicines are up to date.

Let's start with these two trains.

1. and 2. SP 7200 in July 1980

3., 4., and 5. SP 9270 in September 1981.  Roger, as usual, was shooting with two cameras (thus two roles of film) so I can not say if the three are in the order taken.

Thanks,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/16 11:11 by MartyBernard.

Date: 10/21/16 19:27
Re: SP Fan ALERT !

Date: 10/21/16 19:39
Author: PasadenaSub

I'm not sure, but the first two look like either Alviso or Elkhorn Slough in CA. 

3 & 4 look like on the coast line between Paso Robles and Atascadero, or maybe further south below San Luis Obispo?

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 19:41 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 10/21/16 19:45
Author: Auburn_Ed

Alviso, since it's NOT Elkhorn Slough.

Ed

Date: 10/21/16 19:47
Author: bradleymckay

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure, but the first two look like either
> Alviso or Elkhorn Slough in CA. 
>
> 3 & 4 look like on the coast line between Paso
> Robles and Atascadero, or maybe further south
> below San Luis Obispo?
>
> Rich

Rich, I think the first 2 are near Alviso, so you would be correct.  It's the eb OALAT.

4 and 5 is either the  eb OALAY or the WJLAY coming into Paso Robles, about to go under Hwy 101. 

Pic 3 is Santa Margarita, but the angle has me a bit puzzled.  He must have taken that with a 300mm lense from the road just south of the tracks. 

Allen

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 20:25 by bradleymckay.

Date: 10/21/16 19:50
Author: DynamicBrake

Nice quintet Marty, thanks for sharing.  That last shot really emphasizes the super elevated curve and how cool they look.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/21/16 20:05
Author: SPDRGWfan

Beautious maximus!

I am looking forward to this batch. This should be a royal feast!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/21/16 20:33
Author: icancmp193

As we all know, TO has a decidedly SP slant. So Marty, you will probably be nominated for sainthood or some such!

Tom Y

Date: 10/21/16 23:28
Author: tehachapifan

Oh, this is gonna be good!

Date: 10/22/16 10:54
Author: spnudge

I think No. 1 & 2 are the sloughs north east of San Jose. Not Elkhorn.

No. 3 is leaving Margarita on the main with the siding on the left. The hoghead is looking at the signal up the line that is the start of CTC. Behind the power is Art Laidlaws house. You can see the xing bell for "Laidlaws Crossing". The speed was 35 from Pozo Rd and 25 into the curve just east of the start of CTC.

No. 4 looks to be between Wellsona and Paso. It is east of the 50 mph curve that was at the east switch. Then it was 60 all the way to the east switch at Paso Robles.

No. 5 looks  like coming around the curve just before the scanner at the Paso Hot Springs. That is where the tracks go under Highway 101 and then on into Paso. The road you see is the long, long  North bound on ramp to Highway 101. Its from the old main drag that used to be 101 before the freeway when it went thru downtown.

Nudge 

Date: 10/22/16 14:32

Thanks for the help.  I just posted some more.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds