Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sunnyside Yard...Pre-Amtrak in PC era

Date: 10/23/16 16:29
Sunnyside Yard...Pre-Amtrak in PC era
Author: fulham

During the waning days of private passenger service in the US, in the late 1960's prior to Amtrak, I was wondering what the situation was at PC's Sunnyside Yard regarding the  top Seaboard Coast Line trains (Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Champion, Florida Special) and Southern's Southerner which became the Southern Crescent.  How did SCL and the Southern keep their equipment in such good shape as it was turned and serviced at Sunnyside given that this was a PC facility?  Did SCL and SR have maintenance people at Sunnyside that took care of their trains or did the crews at Sunnyside just knew they had to do a good job with them, as they had always done?  I know PC maintained the Metroliners to a decent standard and also the Broadway, at least for awhile.  Looking at pictures of PC long distance trains at the time made me wonder.

Date: 10/23/16 19:06
Re: Sunnyside Yard...Pre-Amtrak in PC era
Author: Lackawanna484

Pennsylvania Railroad had high standards, and a well trained work force.

For their own equipment, they operated with larger pools than Amtrak has. That let them spend time assuring the cleaning and set up was done right, and have equipment ready, even when a train was very late.

Some problems that Amtrak has faced over the years in various places would get people fired for good on PRR. Failing to plug in a cafe lounge, so the next day, in 10 degree weather, everything is frozen solid. It goes into service with a Thermos coffe dispenser, and rest room in the next, warm, car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds