Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Nostalgia & History > possible V&T locomotive photo where/what is question

Date: 10/25/16 22:18
possible V&T locomotive photo where/what is question
Author: Cjcheely

Hello

​This photo showed up on a facebook group a couple of day ago for semi trucks.

​1. I was corious if anyone had any ideas on the locomotive ID? It looks like a V&T locomotive used in a movie and fair sometype (union pacific)?

​2. any ideas on the event it was being trucked for?

​Photo info Uncredited

Date: 10/25/16 22:56
Re: possible V&T locomotive photo where/what is question
Author: wp1801

Is that the locomotive that Ward Kimball bought?

Date: 10/25/16 23:33
Author: west

Hi,

Due to the fluting on the top of the dome It looks like the V&T #18 "Dayton". The scrolled lettering on
the tender looks like it's paint job for the Cecil B. DeMille movie Union Pacific.  It could be being transported
to or from the filming location which was in southern Utah if I recall.   The studio also sent some of the
rolling stock on a publicity tour for the movie also.    It was also used in numerous other
movie work too, so that's a possibility.  

Can anyone date/ID the truck ? That would narrow the date down.

"Dayton" is currentley displayed in Virginia City, Nevada.

This is a standard gauge 4-4-0.  Ward Kimball's locomotive was a 36"gauge 2-6-0.  Ward's
locomotive is at Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, CA.

Don

Don

Date: 10/25/16 23:50
Author: JimBaker

The truck is a Belyea Brothers Mack, REO or Autocar, as close as I can guess,  probably late 1940-1950s is the date.
Belyea moved a lot of the equipment out to LAs Travel Town.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 10/26/16 01:37
Author: west

Hi,

Beleya Brothers specialized in moving large odd items.  They were founded prior to the 1930's.

Union Pacific was filmed in 1939, which might be too early for the truck.  The movie Whispering
Smith of 1948 also used V&T #18 with scroll style lettering on the tender, but the colors seem reversed
from this photo, although movie painting and lettering could have been changed.

Don

Date: 10/26/16 09:45
Author: engine3420

The truck looks like a pre-war Sterling.
Chris

Date: 10/26/16 12:56
Author: ExSPCondr

I agree with 3420 that the first truck is pre-war.  The second truck looks like re-painted war surplus, which would make the 1948 date of the second movie just right.
G

Date: 10/26/16 18:34
Author: africansteam

No.18 was aslo used in the 1958-59 Television series "Union Pacific" which was filmed on the Iverson ranch in Chatsworth, California with the tender decorated as shown in the picture.

For the 1939 movie "Union Pacific" the tender was lettered with the engine number - 119.

In Wispering Smith Speaks, 18's tender sported a narrower banner lettered Nebraska Pacific which was set against a dark background surrounded by a light pinstripe.

Source: The Movie Railroads by Jarry Jensen, first edition.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/16 18:35 by africansteam.

Date: 10/26/16 20:20
Author: kpcmcpkva

One thing I like about this site, is that  if it is about transportation other than trains, someone here has knowledge about it

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds