Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two Sunrises, Where?

Date: 12/01/16 23:29
Two Sunrises, Where?
Author: MartyBernard

These are in with his AT&SF "morning" skides.  He changes rolls between shots. The first was processed in June and the second in August 1985.  When you zoom in that white dot above the bridge in the first photo looks like a half moon.  I guess Roger wasn't interested in it and stuck with his wider angle lens.

Thanks again,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/16 23:45 by MartyBernard.

Date: 12/02/16 00:39
Re: Two Sunrises, Where?
Author: santafe199

Just east of Emporia, KS the SFe (now BNSF) main runs in a very flat WNW ~ ESE direction. That's why the sunrise images appear to be extremely far to the north of a due East/West line. Since Roger shot the 2 trains at Merchant St in Emporia with the August '85 processing date, these sunrise images (one with the same processing date) have to be the overhead intermediate signal bridge between NR Jct & Wiggam crossovers . These signals were the approach to NR Jct westbound & to Wiggam eastbound, which you can make out in both of Roger's normal lens photos. That big "blob" of red light is most likely all 3 controlled eastbound signals blurring together because of the 2+ mile distance. And since one of these images has a June '85 processing date, that means ALL 4 of these slides (adding the pair at Merchant St) had to have been taken in June. Which in turn makes the relatively high early morning sun angle much more believable at Merchant St. In modern day the south main track (nearest in foreground in the sunrise shots ) has been taken up, and the intermediate signal bridge has been replaced with double, bi-directional single masts, one on each side of the 2 remaining main tracks...

And to answer your PM, Marty: Surprisingly, in my 9 Santa Fe years I saw very few photographers I didn't already know while riding trains into & out of the Emporia from the west (Middle Division) side of town. I'd have to admit that it's possible I could have gotten a brief glimpse of Roger while moving at speed on some train...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/16 00:46 by santafe199.

Date: 12/02/16 08:04
Re: Two Sunrises, Where?
Author: monaddave

I concur with Lance. 

Marty, to help you get your bearings, tiz the same signal bridge as the one in your post a few days ago, photo #6, from this thread...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4168796,4168837#msg-4168837

Dave in Msla

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1583 seconds