Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Nostalgia & History > Clinchfield Steam 1946

Date: 12/02/16 18:44
Clinchfield Steam 1946
Author: CandNW

I recently came across a small box of black and white prints that belonged to my Dad. Included was a number of steam photos from the Marion, NC area featuring Southern and Clinchfield action. Below is a shot of the Marion, NC depot on the Clinchfield with 4-6-6-4 #652 leading a southbound freight. The info on the back lists Joe Bruner as the photographer with a date of March 10, 1946.

-Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/16 19:16 by CandNW.

Date: 12/02/16 19:26
Re: Clinchfield Steam 1946
Author: E25

WOW!  That's a gem.

Date: 12/02/16 19:28
Author: MartyBernard

WOW is right.  I hope the "small" box contained a lot like this.

Marty Bernard

Date: 12/02/16 19:52

MartyBernard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW is right.  I hope the "small" box contained a
> lot like this.
>
> Marty Bernard

Hi Folks,
There are 20 to 25 photos.  Some better than others exposure and composition wise as well as many scratches.  Here is one of the Southern on Saluda mountain.  
2-10-2's #5035 & #5023 lead "23 loads about half way up" according to the info on the back.  No photographer is given.  The date is May 15, 1948.

-Rob

Date: 12/02/16 21:02
Author: krm152

Absolutely great photo! Hope you have many more.  Would especially like to see one with SOU's Clinchcross depot in it.
Coincidentally, just over 29 years later, on May 10, 1975, I made a photo at this location (Marion) of the Clinchfield "One Spot" with the two F7Bs and one coach deadheading from Erwin to Spartanburg.  I can't remember the ocassion for this deadhead move.  Only one of my railfan friends and I made any photos of this move between Erwin and Marion.  By this date, the TO signal by the depot was gone. 
ALLEN

Date: 12/03/16 09:13
Author: 1019X

Geat photos, I hope you can post more. I bet that brakeman on the pilot beam is getting an earfull of stack talk!

Date: 12/03/16 20:00

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely great photo! Hope you have many
> more.  Would especially like to see one with
> SOU's Clinchcross depot in it.
> Coincidentally, just over 29 years later, on May
> 10, 1975, I made a photo at this location (Marion)
> of the Clinchfield "One Spot" with the two F7Bs
> and one coach deadheading from Erwin to
> Spartanburg.  I can't remember the ocassion for
> this deadhead move.  Only one of my railfan
> friends and I made any photos of this move between
> Erwin and Marion.  By this date, the TO signal by
> the depot was gone. 
> ALLEN

Hi Allen,
     My Dad took many a photo of #1 in the '70's up around the "loop" area near Spruce Pine, NC.  I accompanied him on several trips and remember that engine well even as a child.  I will have to delve into his slides and see what I can find.
     As for Clinch Cross this is the only photo I could locate in the recently found box. It's of the Clinchfield depot I believe with SR 2-10-2 #5058 pictured on March 23, 1947. Joe Bruner photography.
-Rob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.071 seconds