Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another E-L from the past

Date: 12/03/16 17:54
Another E-L from the past
Author: Rathole

As a follow up to my Griffith, Indiana slide from earlier today, here's E-L train #6, the Lake Cities, at Dearborn Station in Chicago in 1968.   This original Ektachrome slide is by Terry Foshee.

Date: 12/03/16 18:42
Re: Another E-L from the past
Author: coach

Dearborn looked bleak.  Love the U.S. Mail trucks, though!

Date: 12/03/16 18:49
Author: refarkas

A truely beautiful EL image.
Bob

Date: 12/03/16 19:29
Author: CPR_4000

I thought this train usually ran with two E units? Looks like baggage cars on both ends, too. Just like Amtrak!

Date: 12/03/16 19:48
Author: RodneyZona

Nioce shot!  Old E-L train crews worked Huntington, IN-Chicago-Marion, OH-Huntington, IN..  Engine crews worked Huntington, IN-Chicago-Huintington, IN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/17 12:37 by RodneyZona.

Date: 12/03/16 19:50
Author: King_Coal

Great looking train!

Date: 12/03/16 20:15
Author: krm152

Super great photo!
For 1968, this was a regular Saturday or Sunday consist. The front baggage car, two coaches, and diner-lounge were all through cars to Hoboken. The rear baggage car of sealed storage mail was a Marion cutoff car.
However, I do not recall having seen any other photos during this era of the Lake Cities departing Chicago with only one unit.
ALLEN

Date: 12/03/16 20:16
Author: Atlpete

Great shot; from the angle getting the whole train; Excellent!
I wish we had the same view for all of Dearborn's many short little trains from the 60's
Say a Thoroughbred, Danville Flyer, or one of those GTW Port Huron trains or one of the C&WI's commuter runs.
Dearborn was a kind of a strange station. Despite all of the different roads using it was tiny. And the head house wasn't very big either; even LaSalle or Grand Central seemed more appropriate size-wise.   

Date: 12/03/16 21:03
Author: ATSF100WEST

Now, this should be the IOTD. But no, we'll just get another mind-numbing glint shot, or some blasé shot of GE's anywhere. Far be it from the keepers to educate anyone with bona-fide "history"......

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 12/04/16 05:51
Author: JPB

Beautiful photo of a fairly clean and attractive train. Where are all the Santa Fe trains?

Date: 12/04/16 08:59
Author: Seventyfive

What a sharp looking train!  The E-L was a show-stopper no matter where you caught it.  
Of all the Dearborn photos I've seen this one is unusual with so few trains there at the moment.  
Nice to see the C&WI Alco on the stub track and the baggage cars set out on the side.  
And more...Grand Central Station proudly standing, and how about "FOR GOOD SERVICE C&EI" on the freight house!  
Thanks for posting this very excellent photo.

Date: 12/04/16 09:03
Author: dan

geting short  :(

Date: 12/04/16 12:23
Author: ATSF3751

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought this train usually ran with two E units?
> Looks like baggage cars on both ends, too. Just
> like Amtrak!

I believe this train picked up a 10-6 Pullman in Youngstown to Hoboken. Reversed the other direction.

Date: 12/04/16 20:02
Author: Atlpete

I visited Dearborn Station around 11am as a kid in the early spring of 1964, and it was completely empty. No trains on the platform tracks, no passengers, only some express cars south of the station leads
It was strange, certainly not what I expected when I "negotiated" the visit (I was only eight) with my mother. Now I'm glad I saw it anyway.
Makes all these photos more compelling.   
Pete 

Date: 12/04/16 22:02
Author: wabash2800

Santa Fe had their own passenger yard and servicing facility so I suppose when trains were not at the station they were at the yard as might be the case at other constiutent's railroad yards.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful photo of a fairly clean and attractive
> train. Where are all the Santa Fe trains?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/16 20:17 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1204 seconds