Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O Photo Help

Date: 01/05/17 12:53
C&O Photo Help
Author: Rivannaco

Was looking for a little help in determining the location of this pic hanging in our offices here in Jax. I've also forwarded to the COHS for their input.

Several of us "seasoned" folk think it my be my home terminal of Fulton. However, the height of the treeline at the rear of the passenger cars and the "whitish" spot just to the bottom left of the shack (Ohio River?) may instead point to Stevens or further up the river. 

Many thanks and have safe Happy New Year!

Rivannaco

Date: 01/06/17 08:32
Re: C&O Photo Help
Author: aehouse

I can't tell you where it is, but it's almost certainly an office car move.  C&O had no regularly scheduled mainline passenger trains that short except for the Clifton Forge-Hot Springs, Va. train.  That train would not have had a Pacific leading, and the yard is neither Clifton Forge nor Covington, the two mainline yards the Hot Springs train passed on its short route to the Homestead resort.

Art House

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/17 08:34 by aehouse.

Date: 01/06/17 08:57
Author: Totallamer

Rivannaco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was looking for a little help in determining the
> location of this pic hanging in our offices here
> in Jax. I've also forwarded to the COHS for their
> input.
>
> Several of us "seasoned" folk think it my be my
> home terminal of Fulton. However, the height of
> the treeline at the rear of the passenger cars and
> the "whitish" spot just to the bottom left of the
> shack (Ohio River?) may instead point to Stevens
> or further up the river. 
>
> Many thanks and have safe Happy New Year!
>
> Rivannaco
>
>   

​Poor old Fulton.  Such a sad shell of its former self.

Date: 01/06/17 14:13
Author: gcw

Rivannaco Wrote:

> Several of us "seasoned" folk think it my be my
> home terminal of Fulton. However, the height of
> the treeline at the rear of the passenger cars and
> the "whitish" spot just to the bottom left of the
> shack (Ohio River?) may instead point to Stevens
> or further up the river. 

I'm going to agree with Fulton. There is a hill just south of the yard that still has trees on it, plus Fulton has 2 light towers in locations that match those in the photo. I'm assuming that the photographer is standing at the north end of the yard facing south.

Date: 01/06/17 18:40
Author: agentatascadero

The only problem with the "office car move" remark is that none of the three cars appears to be a railroad business car.  That does not, fo course,rule out some other sort of passenger extra move.   Anybody have an idea of what those guys in the photo are up to?    Count me as one who always appreicates the posting of these wonderful vintage photos.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds